Awful Back Up Camera / Blind Spot Camera in the dark

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dave Ferrell, Nov 24, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dave Ferrell

Dave Ferrell Member

Now that it is dark so much sooner I find myself using the car more at night. My back up camera and right side turn camera are nearly useless in the dark. And if it's raining it's even worse. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?
    I've had many cars with back up cameras and never seen this level of poor quality in the dark.

MPower and KentuckyKen like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dmiko

Dmiko New Member

I too find that the camera doesn't adjust its brightness in the dark nearly enough. I have to push the day/night brightness button in the lower left corner of the display most of the time.

My 2014 Accord's both cameras work much better in both day and night. This seems one of the areas where Honda cut corners on the clarity.

4. Simon Sun

Simon Sun New Member

Me 3.
    Is that possibly fixed by Honda for sold cars?

5. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I agree. I guess we are going to have to revert to 20th century looking. :eek:

Randy Stegbauer and insightman like this.
  6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the camera except rain can almost obliterate it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

The problem I have is that the camera gets dirty. It only takes a quick swipe to clean it if I remember to do so.

9. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I have had this problem also. You can get a better picture at night if you change the brightness... This is how you do it.
    turn on the car
    push the button on the end of the turn signal
    push the 2nd menu button (not the top one)
    press display
    change brightness settings

Do this at night

Dmiko, dnb and leehinde like this.
  10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

There is also a display brightness button on the lower left side of the display as noted by @Dmiko. Perhaps that would work too?

11. stacey burke

That is for the panel display not for the lane watch.. you have to do as I posted above to make the Lane Watch brightness to change.

Richard_arch74 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Thanks! I don't need lane watch to be brighter because the headlights of cars in the right blind spot show up just fine. I'll experiment a bit with getting the backup camera brighter, though.

14. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    The poor quality of the two cameras really bother me, even in the daylight. It's wierd because you don't NEED a high quality image to make sure you are not going to hit something, but it still really bothers me. Every time I look at them, it just screams "Cheap Honda". I didn't like the quality of the camera in my Leaf, and it's twice as good as the one in the Clarity. Darkness just makes it even worse.

Dmiko likes this.
  15. dnb

dnb Active Member

I think part of it is because its such a large screen so the low quality looks even worse... like viewing 480p video on a 1080p screen looks sooo bad but on a tiny one 720p it can look fine.

16. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

I am ok with the side view camera. However, the rear view camera is frankly fuzzy/out of focus. I had a better picture with a Lincoln MKZ built in 2011.

17. stacey burke

The backup camera can be made lighter by just putting the car in reverse and press the night/day button on the bottom left of the display.

Pegsie and jorgie393 like this.
  18. dqcyd

dqcyd New Member

The camera image quality can be improved by software updates, just tuning parameters.

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  19. bfd

bfd Active Member

Both cameras are ancient technology, and it's really a shame that Honda didn't use cameras with better specs. Makes one wonder about the quality of the "camera" in the Honda "Sensing System".

20. BobS

BobS Active Member

When backing out of my garage at night, I turn the headlights off, that makes the rear camera display much brighter.

21. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

It's odd - the screen resolution in Waze with CarPlay is actually much better than on my 18' Odyssey. But the camera feeds is worse. So I think it's the cameras in this case that are low res.

But why is there a 2" black border on the right side, plus top/bottom? Couldn't they used a screen with smaller borders?

22. dnb

dnb Active Member

Yeah I meant that the camera being such a low resolution looks worse since the screen is larger and higher quality. If the dash cam only took up a small area the pixels wouldn't be stretched and look better. If it upscaled the image it might help, but right now it just looks really grainy