Center console "wings"

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jorgie393, Nov 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

There have been some complaints from taller people (taller than me, it appears) who have a problem where their knee hits the "wings" on the center console (where the drive select buttons are). Followed by speculation about whether they could be modified.

In case it helps anyone, here are Honda's disassembly instructions for that part of the trim. [Formally this is the Central Console Panel.] Unfortunately, a) it would look pretty unfinished without the wings; and b) there doesn't appear to be much reason for them at all, which is annoying.

I do use mine to hold my cellphone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jorgie393

Sailorman and Steve Gonzales like this.
  4. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

That is sad (that they are purely decorative and have no usefulness what so ever) Further leading me to believe the entire center command/console thing could have been better placed - like by dash board maybe, below the screen or some configuration of the two

Sailorman and Steve Gonzales like this.
  5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Odyssey. Much better shift panel arrangement.

Sailorman and Mariner91 like this.
  6. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

ROFL :) Thank you. That is exactly what I was imagining. Now, wth didn't they do that to clarity??

It looks like they got rid of the touchscreen (or moved it up and removed the non-touch screen), as our 2016 has two screens and I guess the control panel now fills the lower one.

Sailorman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SteveinSD

SteveinSD New Member

I put one of those "sticky dash pads" on the left wing so I can put my phone there without it sliding around. It occurred to me that depending on the thickness of the wing material, maybe a thin wireless phone charger could fit inside the wing and potentially wirelessly charge your phone if placed correctly?

Sailorman and jorgie393 like this.
  9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

SteveinSD could you post a picture of your phone arrangement on the console and give some more info about the sticky dash pad material? Thanks.

Sailorman likes this.
  10. SteveinSD

SteveinSD New Member

Here's a photo of the pad. Literally a couple of bucks on eBay if you search "sticky dash pad." COTHXXXXASM2_1_v3.jpg

Sailorman and MPower like this.
  11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Thanks, SteveinSD. I think your idea is great. I discovered that my phone did not pickup Google Maps as well when it was located in the cubby under the shifter. It seemed to do better when I put it on the passenger seat, but that was not going to work well when I actually had a passenger. Using that spare space on the shifter panel will be just the ticket.

Sailorman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SteveinSD

SteveinSD New Member

It's not the most elegant solution, but it gets the job done.

Sailorman likes this.
  14. RichL

RichL Member

Hi, I actually use a magnetic setup - got mine on Amazon.
    I use the space on the console next to the shift buttons to attach the magnet (where the red dot is). The kit's metal plate is stuck onto the back of my phone case.
    The magnet is very strong and holds my S9 in place and the phone just covers the unused fake wood area. I can use it hands-free when driving - but I'll never do that : )
    It does not get it the way and is easy to find when I get out.
    console_LI.jpg plates.JPG mag.JPG

Sailorman likes this.
  15. SteveinSD

SteveinSD New Member

I thought about that too, but didn't want to stick anything on the wood which might leave a mark. The pad just lifts off, and can be washed if it stops sticking sufficiently.

Sailorman likes this.
  16. jorgie393

I agree. I used this space for a variation on this magnetic mount, below. It is not as low-profile but lets you adjust the angle of your phone, and is what I used until recently. (I had to give it up because I got a phone with wireless charging, and the metal plate you have to stick on the phone to provide "grab" for the magnet interferes with wireless charging). Really liked it, and looked classy. Now that Google Maps is on CarPlay it makes it easier to do without this mount, but I still miss it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GM72BH/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Capture.JPG

Sailorman likes this.
  17. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I have a similar magnetic phone holder stuck on the left wing. If you put the round metal plate inside your phone case at the bottom, it won't interfere with the wireless charging coils which are in the middle/top.

This is the one I have, although I ordered from amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Q8F57P/ref=twister_B07JHKL1L9?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Sailorman likes this.
  18. Steve Gonzales

Steve Gonzales New Member

Yeah, they are pretty dumb. I am going to drill into one of them on the top to put a phone holder. ProClip has failed and warped the dash.

Sailorman likes this.
  19. SteveinSD

SteveinSD New Member

I eventually got rid of the sticky dash pad and got a magnetic mount too. Looks decent even when the phone isn't sitting on it, and should be easy to remove if I ever need to.

Sailorman likes this.
  20. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Having followed your idea for the sticky dash pad, I love it. Whenever it gets so grungy that it starts to loose it's stick, I just wash in along with the dishes and it looks brand new.

Sailorman likes this.
  21. ukemike

ukemike New Member

Where did you get that document? Is there some way to get a copy of the service manual that doesn't cost huge piles of money?

Sailorman likes this.
  22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't believe there will ever be another Honda service manual now that all the info is online (pay-per-view) at Honda Service Express.

Sailorman likes this.
  23. Hoon

Hoon Member

Sailorman likes this.