Question about wheels and TPMS

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Oct 18, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I know the Clarity uses rpm (speed) sensors rather than pressure sensor to determine when tires are low. I like many others have experienced the TPMS error when tires were properly inflated, after I let the over-inflation from shipping out of the tires (about 55 lbs). Annoying that so many dealers fail to check this before the car goes out to the purchaser. Had to reset twice to get it to quit complaining. But after all that, my question is this. I bought a spare wheel for the Clarity on Ebay just so that if I ever mangle one (which history has shown I am prone to do), I can replace the wheel without it being too big a deal. The wheel has a black plastic band covering about a third of the wheel. Something like 3 inches by 12 inches (see photo). clarity_wheel.jpg

It is inset into the wheel and would be covered by the tire. Is this related to the speed sensor? I know we have all talked about Civic wheels for the Clarity. Does the 2018 Civic have this same insert in the wheel and is this even required in a new wheel for the speed sensors to function properly. I have never seen a wheel with this "insert".

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

I believe the insert is a resonator to quiet noise from the wheels

4. Alantn

Alantn Member

5. Robert_Alabama

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

First, there are so many threads and posts on this forum (which is great) that you might go crazy trying to come up with the right search terms. Second, I'm glad you asked your question because you posted such a great photo of the resonator, which I was very interested to see.

How expensive was an OEM Clarity wheel on eBay, if you don't mind revealing what you paid (including shipping)? Thanks.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You got a good price. Those wheels retail for more than a grand. I paid $240 apiece for the Clarity accessory wheels. They don't have the resonators, but I can't tell the difference because the only time I heard the OEM tires on the OEM rims was when I took a test drive. Before taking delivery of our Clarity up in December I had snow tires installed on the OEM wheels and then put the OEM tires on the accessory wheels in the Spring. The resonators are useless against the drone of snow tires.