Trip today, great EV range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jdonalds, Jul 22, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

This car is so good. Today we took a joyride from home through Lassen National Forest and back home. A total of 194 miles.

I drove 5 miles home to the freeway on EV then switched to HV. We then drove 80 miles to the park entrance where I switched back to EV. So only 80 of the 194 miles used gas. That means we traveled 114 miles on a single charge of the battery (at home before we left). How did this happen?

Well those 80 miles using the gas engine were climbing from 500' elevation to 6,724' elevation. That meant we were able to drive the rest of the way mostly downhill. There were ups and downs but it was really fun to drive along for miles at a time going downhill, knowing that not only were we driving free of using any energy, but the regen was refilling the battery. At one point the EV range increased from 23 to 40.

I don't know how many miles we drove to go from one side of the park to the other but it's at least 20 miles during which time the EV powered car had to climb to 8,500' elevation. When we hit the intersection of hwy 89 and 44 the GPS said we had 60 miles to go. At that point the car said the EV range was 23 miles. Still we made all but the last two miles on EV. The EV range dropped as low as 7 miles but as indicated above it recharged up to 40 miles.

We arrived home with a fully depleted battery, having dropped into HV about 2 miles before reaching home.

AndyBA, Ken7, Jed and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

The Clarity hypermiling champion!

4. jdonalds

I don't actually know how to hypermile this car other than slow acceleration. All I did was engage ACC and set the speed.

The car continues to surprise me. Honda has proven that you don't need to design a car to be small and light to still get amazing numbers.

5. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

This car is an engineering marvel!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

jdonalds likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Yes and YES. I couldn't think of a better title than "hypermiling" because it seems so mundane to just say "EV mileage champ." It is an engineering marvel, and if the pricing in its home market is any indication, we have been rewarded with a steal for our guinea pig efforts. Reviewers estimate the "real" cost of our Clarity (Touring) at $52,000, and after state and federal rebates I got mine for $27,500 thank you Honda...

The best (unstated) part of your story @jdonalds was that if the EV experiment had failed, you still go home nice and comfy in HV mode - no range anxiety here.

AndyBA likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jdonalds

So we all know the EV range includes the previous EV actual range in it's calculation. Since our car had extraordinary EV range coming down from 8,500' elevation yesterday that data was used to project our EV range today.

When I got in the car the EV range showed more than 75 miles today. Then I realized my wife had already driven the car earlier. She said the EV range was over 80 when she got in the car. All good fun. Of course the range was quite wrong. It actually dropped 23 EV miles of range estimate when I drove just 10 miles.

[​IMG]

weave and Johnhaydev like this.
  9. dstrauss

If they REALLY managed to make a 75 mile EV range vehicle out of this thing, without compromising interior room, they would become the next Prius (what am I saying, they are probably headed that way already).

10. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

Hey I’m feeling pretty good about getting 57-59 miles of range lately :). And in Sport mode!