Tesla Goes to China?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Pushmi-Pullyu, Jul 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

A thread for discussion of news about Tesla opening a "Gigafactory" in China to assemble cars and manufacture battery cells. Also, for discussion of how the U.S.-China trade war will affect Tesla.

From The Business Times: "Tesla plots bold China factory move, stays silent on cost"

From Time: "Tesla Will Build Its First Factory Outside the U.S. in Shanghai"

From CNN Money: "Tesla is going big in China"

From Forbes: "Mr. Musk Goes To China, But It Is Too Late For Tesla To Ride The Chinese EV Boom" [sic]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Of course, the huge unanswered question is: How is the U.S.-China trade war going to affect Tesla's for a Gigafactory in China? (For that matter, what will it do to the price of Tesla's cars?)

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

• Elon Musk is an emigrant.
    • China likes him.
    Sell his USA resources and move to China begins to make sense. Take his technical staff with him.

Bob Wilson

6. He's not moving to China or moving the company to China, just production for that market. And even then, I'm not sure if he's going to make the Model X and Model S there. The China Gigafactory might just focus on the batteries, the Model 3 and Model Y.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sorry, it was a subtle attempt to touch on two recent . . . movements.

On a serious note, I've seen immigrants have a 'monkey on their back', motivation to succeed sometimes not felt by today's descendants of earlier immigrants. I know because I changed schools every 2-3 years growing up. Each time I was 'the new kid' and soon realized I had an edge over the long-term, usual suspects.

Bob Wilson