I-Pace detailed review (Tesla fans should not watch)

Discussion in 'I-Pace' started by David Green, Jul 13, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

I thought this as a pretty thorough review by an obviously opinionated reviewer...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Good to see all the praise the I-Pace is getting. Tesla can use some real competition, and it's finally got some, altho from a car which appears unlikely to challenge Tesla's level of production or sales.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

In the Prius community, we've had folks who switched to the Honda Civic and Ioniq because they prefer a 'normal' instrument cluster. The Prius has the displays in the center as does the Tesla. Even beyond the pale, the Ioniq adds a stepped transmission, another favorite of those who long for older car technology. Tesla have a fixed reduction gear, no stepped gear changes.

Bob Wilson

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

I think we need to make clear that it's the Ioniq PHEV that you're talking about, with the multi-speed transmission, not the Ioniq Electric. So far as I know, no modern production BEV has multiple gears; they all use a fixed reduction gear.

A relevant quote:

The Ioniq hybrid is powered by a 1.6-liter inline-four gasoline engine and an electric motor, matched with a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission... The plug-in Ioniq uses a version of the same powertrain but has a more powerful electric motor and a much larger battery...

Ioniq Electrics make 118 horsepower with an electric motor, a large battery, and a single-speed transmission.
    (Source: Car and Driver)

Comparing the Ioniq PHEV to any Tesla car would be an apples-to-oranges comparison. BEVs and PHEVs are all EVs, but they are different animals.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  6. bwilson4web

You may want to double check on the Ioniq EV. I read one review that suggested the stepped transmission was in the system so it could achieve higher top speeds.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

9. Pushmi-Pullyu

Citation, please?

10. bwilson4web

11. Pushmi-Pullyu

Yeah, I find the term "paddle shifter" to be confusing too.

In fact, your comment here is the first time that's been clarified in my mind. So, if I understand what you're saying, it doesn't involve any gear shifting at all; just different strength levels of motor braking aka "regenerative braking". Is that right?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

In this case, it is somewhat ambiguous . . . poor choice of words. If I had an interest in the Ioniq, I might hunt it down.

My problem is Hyundai has history in miss reporting facts and data that continues today. For example there is a significant difference between Fuelly and EPA data. If I had a test example, I'd test it but otherwise, I don't trust Hyundai.

Bob Wilson

14. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I looked at Domenick EV sales numbers
    and do not find any numbers for I-pace in July. Is it available for sale or just vaporware for now in the US

15. Pushmi-Pullyu

A blog post on Seeking Alpha (which I won't link to because of the extreme amount of anti-Tesla FUD there) claims "Jaguar I-Pace starts deliveries in Europe in late June, followed by the U.S. approximately 6-8 weeks thereafter."

So if that is correct, then U.S. sales started too recently to show up on InsideEVs' most recent Monthly Plug-in Sales Scorecard chart.

It's not "vaporware" just because it has only recently appeared on the market! Please. Is there any term related to the automotive market more abused and over-used than "vaporware"?!?

According to Wikipedia:

In the computer industry, vaporware (alt. vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled. Use of the word has broadened to include products such as automobiles.
    The Jaguar I-Pace is most definitely being manufactured. It's definitely not vaporware, whether or not it is currently being sold in the U.S. Even if there is a delay in it going on sale, that still doesn't make it "vaporware"!

16. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Again I will admit that may be the expression vaporware was a little strong, given that I-pace has 20,000 pre-orders to Wyamo and I am certain someone in Wyamo has actually verified the availability. So to that extent I stand corrected. The question I had was to understand if the announcement was premature (with nothing really in sight for next many months) or if they had started shipping to anyone (fleet buyers or retail) in either Europe or the US. If they announced potential sales in the US, knowing fully well that they could not supply the US retail market for say a year or two, they call it what you want, it is a variant or cousin of vaporware. If. on the other hand, they genuinely believed that could start regular supplies to the US market in say 3 months and it was delayed by a month or two due to a variety of issues, to me that is par for the course.

Again I am not basher of any company, I have no long or short positions in any such company. I am a technologist interested in the technology and also in the market for a EV and am waiting for competition which will bring down the price while advancing features and technology. So that is where my curiosity is. I would like to know if it is being sold in retail right now and what the customer reaction (not of the experts or journalists but the actual end users) is.

Domenick likes this.
  17. Pushmi-Pullyu

I hope I didn't write anything suggesting you're a basher? If so, then I must have jumped to a conclusion, and I apologize.

And if nobody else has already said it: Welcome to the forum!