What did you do to your MINI today?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

Not quite today, but earlier this week I lowered, fitted a JCW spoiler and new wheels!

Attached Files:

MiniCooper, Mr3sgte, SE_PDX and 7 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Looks great!

4. SJA

SJA Member

Looks great what wheels are those?

5. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

Sparco Trofeo 18 x 8 ET45

6. SJA

SJA Member

With the 18's are you seeing any significant range decrease? I am debating between 17's and 18's.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

Actually the range had improved!
    Either way I’m not fussed about range, only use it for commutes and the odd long journey like today I did a 90 mile round trip and still had 15% left

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Don't the 18" wheels throw off the range calculation because the wheel diameter is bigger? The sidewalls don't look shorter than the 17". And what about the TPMS sensors, do they need to be adjusted?

10. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

Maybe a 1 or 2 mph Speedo difference, TPMS sensors all work fine

Attached Files:

11. Lilmissy

Lilmissy New Member

I brought him/her home :)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Congratulations on buying one of the few remaining SEs available! (cars.com says the count for new SEs is down to 307 in the continental US.)

14. Lilmissy

Lilmissy New Member

Thank you!! It was used and I’m in Canada but…I feel like the “Congratulations” still stands :) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Hankooks 195/55/16 temperature 60-70 F. This is my average range only on SPORT mode 80 miles highway speed 65/75 and 40 miles short trips 4-5 miles around city total 120 miles and still 20 miles left .My drive in SE is always like I steal a car and I wander if I’m on green mode how far I will go ? IMG_1436.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  16. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Absolutely it counts: you brought home an SE that someone else gave up. ;). (Unthinkable to me.)

MichaelC likes this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    lol

Played with "roller mode" for the first time today, and the seat of my pants thinks it may have actually launched slower than with DSC-off/DTC-on.

OTOH, if I ever end up with a set of tires I don't care for, I'll know how to get started on a pro-rated refund. Hah.

18. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I made a set of 15" wheels go on my SE for autocross. I am significantly faster. Even more fun to drive like I stole it. I don't care about wheel gap...

IMG_20240519_160436600.jpg

SE_PDX likes this.
  19. teddybare

teddybare Member

i really love this mod ...i think you mentioned shaving callipers a wee bit any pics so i can follow your lead ..cheers

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Don't smaller wheels provide a smaller pavement/tire-contact patch than larger wheels? I assume reducing unsprung weight doesn't offer any advantage on a smooth autocross track. Not being a competitor, I'm curious what advantage the 15-inch wheels you chose provide:
    • Lighter weight and smaller diameter for reduced inertia, hence quicker acceleration?
    • Ability to mount stickier tires that come only in 15-inch diameter?
    • Ability to use wider wheels/tires without causing body/chassis interference?

21. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

There is light contact patch reduction compared to larger diameter tyres. For the same width and optimized pressures, the contact patch is approximately inversely proportional to the tyre load rating. Stock 16s are 1201lbs. 205/50-15 are 1168lbs, 225/45-15 are 1201lbs. 16" autocross were 1168lb So, my contact patch is about the same. Except that the autocross tyres tend to be somewhat wider than street tyres, so may be able to run lower pressures.

Class rules limit wheel width and offset, so I can't take advantage of wheel poke to put enormous tyres on.

Tyre availability is a big factor. The choice in 16" is way smaller than in 15".

Lighter wheel/tyre weight will help a bit with acceleration, but not as much as some 'experts' will tell you. It also help keep the wheels on the ground. How much is again, a bit contentious, it depends a mainly on how good the dampers are. Lighter wheels do make a huge difference to ride. This course is relatively flat, some are quite bumpy. Lighter wheels also reduce gyroscopic effects, so I can yank on the wheel at speed and it will turn faster. Power steering obviously helps this factor disappear, but it does affect feel.

The smaller diameter does make a difference to effective gearing. These tyres are 3% smaller than the 16s I was autocrossing on, and 7% smaller than stock tyres. That is quite noticeable.
    One last advantage, they are the only legal way to lower the car in street class. That means less weight transfer and less roll. Both of which help with both handling and ultimate lateral grip. Shorter springs will mess up stock geometry and cause more roll of the stock stiffness.
    I don't know how much the different tyre model, reduced weight and smaller diameter are individually contributing, but the overall package feels just great.

Take all of this with a pinch of salt, I'm sure as hell not the fastest guy out there. I'm just quicker than I used to be.

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's great that you can see a measurable difference resulting from the considerable planning, spending, and belt-sanding you did. I'm glad to have you and your MINI Electric out there showing competitors what this unique car can do.

23. SameGuy

YUL
    I drove just over 250 miles round-trip today, I guess it's my longest road trip yet in this car.

Conditions when I set out this morning were close to ideal, at 23°C (73°F), with clear skies and very little wind, and while both the GOM and ABRP were adamant that I couldn't do the outbound leg without stopping, I'm pretty sure I could have (and then some). There was plenty of holiday traffic to keep me pretty close to the speed limit.

I decided to obey ABRP's algorithm, and made my first stop at about the 80 mile mark. I brought the car back up to 85% at the destination 126 miles from home, picked up the item at the nearby Home Depot, and turned around for the return leg. By this point, though, the car was indicating it was now 34° (93°) outside, and after the third DC fast charge in a row, I for the first time experienced the dreaded performance degradation that can happen while fast charging in warm weather; for the next 10 miles after the third charging stop, the car only supplied 50% e-power in heavy holiday weekend freeway traffic. Annoying.