Level two charge rate varies

Discussion in 'Kia EV6' started by Frankf, Apr 23, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Frankf

Frankf New Member

I have a 2024 EV6 and ChargePoint flex charger with 48amp capacity (#8 wire, 200a main). I charge when below 50% between midnight and 5am. Sometimes the charge rate stays at 48a/11kw throughout the charge. Other times it drops to 7.4kw after 40 minutes or so. Sometimes drops again. I have seen with dip for a few minutes and then climb back up.
    The voltage at the charger and service entrance does drop from 240 by a few volts, but not much unless I run AC, Electric dryer, electric oven, bath heaters and toaster oven. Even then it is around 234 volts.

A big problem for me is that I have not yet found documentation that explains under what conditions the EV6, ChargePoint, or perhaps my utility throttles the charging rate. I don’t know if there is a problem nor what component is to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. #8 AWG conductors wrapped with 90 degrees insulation maximum capacity is 50A.
    This would be right on the upper threshold @ 48A continuous, and the breaker to handle that current would require a 2 pole 60 which is too large for the wire.
    I would start by replacing the feeder to the EVSE to #6 AWG with an ampacity of 65A.
    After that is done, check the temperature of the J1772 connector to eliminate any possibility of overheating issues using an IR heat detector or car scanning software/OBD2 adapter.
    I have doubts of any throttling from the utility end.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024