Driving EV does not mean you will wear out tires faster..

Discussion in 'General' started by OneEV, Apr 23, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. OneEV

OneEV Active Member Subscriber

UNLESS you dive on EV TIRES.

According to companies such as Michelin, tires on electric vehicles wear out up to 20% faster than on internal combustion vehicles. Electric vehicle tires are specifically designed with optimized tread patterns, rubber compounds and sound-absorbing foam.Feb 5, 2024

Has very little to do with accelrating faster etc and more to do with the diference in ev tire rubber compunds and tread pattern ..they are optimized for range and to run quiet.

Driving electric 4 years now , I never run EV tires, no reason to pay a premiun for a tire that doesnt last as long just to eeek out 1% extra range

IMO IMO IMO

I still have my cheap winter tires on because they are quiet (winter tires are thicker and softer than summer tires) they absorb more road noise . I will be removing them next week though. and yes you dont wont to run them middle of summer where the hot pavement will rip them apart sooner but here in Minnesota .. yeah a couple extra months after the snow not a big deal

I even got 3.6 m/kWh on them today taking a passenger to the airport 60-75mph . winter tires, 2 people , heat set @ 70F and 150 lbs of luggage .

70.png

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

I drive on standard tires as well. I didn't see any marked performance improvement over the factory high-dollar LRR's. That being said, it's physics as well, and a 20% reduction in life sounds about right with a high end tire. I noticed my Sonata PHEV was worse than my Olds. The Niro/Kona are worse than the Sonata. I think it's mostly the weight and weight distribution, and then the extra torque of an EV , just kicks it in the teeth a bit. I don't think the shorter lifetime is enough for you to really pay that much attention. To that point, something is always trashing a tire here and there, and I'm going to buy tires more often than the warranty period. I was on a trip in my NiroEV and picked up a large lag bolt close to the sidewall. That means TWO medium quality tires, $200+ after only 20,000 miles. No different from an ICE, so by the time you factor in everything that 20% gap is going to close down, because the lab is never like the real world. Most people wouldn't make tire wear a key deciding factor unless it was way out.

OneEV likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My Bridgestone ECOPIA (no longer available) were rated at 60,000 miles and the tread still measures great!

One of my first Tesla experiments was to measure the weight at a truck stop CAT scale. With me, two small dogs, ~50 lb tool box, and OEM rims and tires, it came in at 3,800 lbs. There are a boat-load of heavier ICE vehicles tearing up our roads.

Now I just buy weight appropriate, long lasting tires . . . when I need a pair.

I don't 'rotate' tires because it can mask tread patterns revealing an alignment problem. But when one of the rear tires wears down too low, I order a replacement pair from Tire Rack drop shipped to a walking distance Firestone shop. When they come in, I drop off my spare rims and have them:
    1. Dispose of the worn out, spare rim tires.
    2. Mount and balance the new tires on the spare rims.
    3. Move front tires to rear.
    4. Install the new tires on the front.
    5. Put the former rear rims and worn out tires in the car.
    6. Do a four wheel alignment.
    7. Return to check the alignment metrics, pay, and pickup the car.
    8. Use their air hose to re-inflate the tires.
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Keith Smith, OneEV and electriceddy like this.
  5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I think it depends on both the driver and the tire quality. Interesting that Bob Wilson had his Ecopias last for so long. My 2018 Leaf came equipped with those and by the time I traded in at 90,000kms (about 55,000 miles) they were pretty well done. Considering they were only on the car about 7 months a year this wasn't so great. And I'm more of a hypermiler than a lead footer except when the light turns orange!

My winter tires were Goodyears on steel rims which I bought for my first Leaf in 2016. Carried them on with my second Leaf and the tread was in great shape at trade in. However, they were approaching 8 years age and starting to show fine cracks in the sidewalls. They were noisier than the Ecopias but not the usual rumble one associates with winter tires. It was a prominent "whirring" sound.

I now have a VW id.4 and am running on Michelin X-ice. Only a little over 4,000kms so to soon to pass any judgement on lifespan.

Keith Smith, OneEV and bwilson4web like this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I always respect those sharing personal experience and not just cut-and-paste a 3d party report. Sure, some of those reports can be useful . . . if you read all of it.

Bob Wilson

Keith Smith and OneEV like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I'm not sure exactly what the OP means, but my experience is that the EVs that I have driven over the past eight years need tires more often than my gas cars did. I always assumed it was because they were heavier.

9. OneEV

OneEV Active Member Subscriber

Mark have your evs always run on EV Tires, thats the isse, they are designed for efficiency not for long term wear.

10. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    It's been a mixture. When replacing tires, I'm not sure exactly what makes a tire an EV tire. I just try to buy all around good tires, not EV specific ones. Are you saying that an extra 1000 pounds on a vehicle doesn't affect tire wear? A RAV4 is 3,400 pounds and a same size bz4X is 4,300 pounds.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The instant torque has to be wearing on tires too, that's gotta cause a lot of quick rubbing when changing speeds. My SE is one of the lighter EVs, but the tires are wearing pretty quickly.

While I don't have EV-specific tires, the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3s I've been riding on are extremely low rolling resistance. I went to a second set after about 65,000 miles but I alternate with snow tires, so I'm probably getting around 30,000 miles on my tires.

eulabel-goodyear-f1-asymmetric-3.png

12. To remove this ad click here.