Funny Google Maps failures in Apple Carplay

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Apr 15, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Recently I started having recurrent issues with my CarPlay starting Google Maps. Sometimes it seems to start well, displays my current location and allows me to trace a rout from there to the destination, but once I start driving the GPS does not update my position (it gets stuck like the car never moved) even after driving 10 miles away (fortunately I know the way, just looking for traffic on the way), so I had to stop and switch to apple maps. Other times it starts seemingly well, but the list of favorites and recent destinations is empty. And sometimes it just displays a black screen instead of the map. I use either a wireless dongle (for in-town driving) or direct connection for long trips, but the issues happen in both modes. However, in the phone alone it works just fine. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MeNerdHair

MeNerdHair New Member

Haven't had that problem myself. There is an spot on the interstate near here that kills my wireless dongle's CarPlay connection every time I drive by, though!

I will say that the CarPlay rendering is done on the phone rather than the headunit, so if you're seeing the CarPlay interface come up at all it's probably on the phone side. Have you tried rebooting the phone?

4. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

That is my suspicion too. The car doesn't change, but the phone is "updated" all the time. Indeed I tried rebooting the phone and it worked... for a while. Not too different from trying the next day. I also blamed it on having the CarScanner app running simultaneously, but I haven't used it in a while and the stuff keeps happening. Next step would be uninstall and reinstall the Googgle maps app...

5. Joe17

Joe17 New Member

I occasionally have a similar issue with Google maps and waze. Problem usually resolves itself when I unplug my iPhone and re-plug it.

6. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Yesterday I had the black screen again. Grabbed my phone, pulled up the Google maps app and voila! the map appeared on the car screen. However, when I started driving the app wouldn't update the GPS position. Back to Apple maps and I went to where I had to go. Driving back tried google maps again and it worked fine. Go figure...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

In an attempt to simplify and pinpoint the cause of the malfunction I removed the "satellite view" from Google maps and for several days it worked fine. However, yesterday it failed again, showing what looks like an inability to access GPS data. I tried then loading an app called MagicMap (formerly Route66, I think) and this one said explicitly there was no GPS signal. Then I tried Waze and it asked me to start the app on the phone in order to display it in CarPlay, the utmost show of programming stupidity since the whole point of CarPlay is avoiding to grab the phone, which BTW is unlawful, so I parked and started Waze on the phone and it worked fine. Then I went back to Google Maps and now for some reason it had regained the access to GPS signal. I strongly suspect this is an iOS bug, because this had never happened before in the five years I've been using it.