Where's the Forums link?

Discussion in 'General' started by DJP, Mar 28, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Yeah. it would be trivial to add a link to the main page.

I find it hard to believe that there are 30k unique accounts on this forum because I rarely see any number of active users go past like 50 or something. Maybe its just a lot of people coming on to ask specific questions. Many car models have their own specific forums in other places too that many people are probably still more active in for more specific car models.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This forum has some very experienced and helpful EV experts. It is more about quality than quantity. Many other forums are mostly full of people that come there to complain and gripe about their cars. And often an echo chamber spreading advice they heard elsewhere that may be of questionable value.

Mark W, insightman and bwilson4web like this.
  4. SouthernDude

I didn't realize that other forums would have that problem. You would think that a forum with people who actually owned the car would not contain a lot of bad advice, especially if the forum is maintained by the car manufacturer itself. Crazy how that is. I am not a part of any specific car forums since I don't really need to be in one.

5. People like to talk, even if they have no direct experience. So you have to get to know the authors and decide for yourself how good their advice is.

Because there isn't a lot of activity on this forum about the specific cars I own I do frequent other forums that are specifically about my cars. There is useful information there, but most of the posts are from newbies who are learning about the car, and we see a lot of the same questions and discussions over and over. Wish people would do a little search on threads first. But there are important things that do come up with car issues, recalls, fixes, mods, etc, that are good to know.

This forum covers a broader scope of EVs and issues that pertain to all of them. Some makes here get quite a bit of activity, too. But like I said, the real value is some of the expertise here.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would only add don't be afraid to use the 'ignore user' function to filter out the irksome posters. This makes it easier to "not feed the trolls." I call it tuning the SQUELCH to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

Once 'ignore user' is turned on I silently spot check: 30 days, 90 days, and randomly thereafter:
    • ~66% - trolls wander off within 30 days or so. Without someone to 'have an argument with', they get bored and leave (i.e., see Monty Python skit.) Check how long since their last post and take down the no longer needed 'ignore.'
    • ~30% - get better and learn to contribute useful information. Let them rejoin by taking down your 'ignore.'
    • ~3% - have mental problems beyond our solving. Just keep them on the 'ignore' list and smile when someone else takes their bait and you see missing post numbers in a thread with one-sided exchanges.
    Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SouthernDude

Ok. Makes sense. I do kind of think the value of the other expertise will dwindle once EVs become more prevalent. There will get to a point where nobody will have to plan to drive an EV. Thats already becoming the case in some parts of North America, but others will get there in time.

9. Seems to be paused @ Episode 200, I guess we will have to wait and see if it gets resurrected in the future - or a replacement.

10. At maker 58:00 minutes they state that the podcast is paused for now and may return in a different format latter in the year.
    You can listen from that point if you want to know where they may be taking the podcast and it format

electriceddy and Mark W like this.
  11. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Ahhh... thanks very much for pointing that out, I had missed that. I just listened to it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I watched a couple episodes with the new cast, but got quickly bored. Nothing useful or interesting to me. I haven't watched many of the new ones from the old cast (Kyle, Tom, Dominik, etc) either. I considered them a little biased and a little too much emphasis on new developments that are too speculative and far out to be of interest to me. When they review a car, they should consider what the main target market or mission is, and not just compare it to Tesla.

Plus these pod casts are way too long, and too much useless chit chat. I have better things to do with my time.

DJP likes this.
  14. SouthernDude

How long would they run? I never listened to them. I pretty much figure that there is rarely enough decent news to go past 20 min a month or something.

15. I agree, should limit video podcasts to max 30 minutes - more than enough time (at least using my PC).
    Some listen to the audio podcasts when doing other activities (like jogging or biking), in those cases a longer time may be more beneficial.
    When I do watch them I set the speed to 1.5X.
    That can later come to haunt me, when I stream a movie, having to get up and adjust the speed back to normal:rolleyes:

16. Usually about 1.5 hours, but like EE, I would up the speed to 1.5, and then maybe slow it down when something interesting happens. It was way too long for what you got out of it, which most times was nothing.

17. SouthernDude

My goodness that is too long. that amount of time should cover almost half a years worth of relevant information.

R P likes this.
  18. Harvey

Harvey Member

good to know the forum still exists.
    only had the main site marked and thought it over.
    good thing i did a search to see.
    not that i'm an avid user, but now i'm an ev owner, might come in more often.

Mark W, DJP and electriceddy like this.