Marketing's influence on EV perceptions & attitudes

Discussion in 'General' started by Charlie Quirke, Apr 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

In general, no, but its going to take awhile to have enough information for people to understand what is happening. All the information that people have now is outdated. Practically every average EV made today has different chemistries, thermal management strategies, and bms than the average EV 5 years ago and 10 years ago. The Nissan Leaf went into production less than 15 years ago. Same with every tesla model. Every year the cars are significantly different than previous models. The state of the market development is happening faster than the average consumer can keep up with.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. True, but at some point, the technology is "good enough" to buy and keep for a good period of time. Same happened with computers and phones. Used to be they could barely meet your needs, but now the newest models are overkill, unless you are a gamer or use it for specialized purposes.

4. SouthernDude

Absolutely. the average battery may be there now. I can't imagine that a car with beyond 500 miles of range would even be useful for the average person too. How many people make frequently 400+ mile a day drives? I cant imagine that many would do that. Like maybe 15% of the driving population max. I think since I got my drivers license 17 years ago I may have only personally driven maybe max 10 days with that many miles.

5. With EVs there is a big tradeoff/compromise with bigger batteries and range. It is cost and weight. The latter also reduces efficiency. Biggest bang for the buck is fast charging.

6. SouthernDude

I think that over time the tradeoff should reduce for the same range that is. Its nonsensical for an EV to have a 1,000 mile range or something. I think that 500 mile will be the hard limit on what any manufacturer will remotely try to mass produce. I think that the average budget vehicle will eventually settle for around 300 miles of range and maybe around 400 - 450 miles for mid priced cars.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

“It is a well known fact that reality has liberal bias.”
    ― Stephen Colbert​

I prefer this version:

"Money talks, bovine fecal matter walks."​

Bob Wilson

9. SouthernDude

[​IMG]