Marketing's influence on EV perceptions & attitudes

Discussion in 'General' started by Charlie Quirke, Apr 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Charlie Quirke

Charlie Quirke New Member

Hi everyone, as an EV enthusiast who is studying marketing I wanted to combine the two in my research topic for my degrees dissertation. Using quantitative research methods, a survey suits best and I think it would be good to collect data from those interested on the overarching topic of Electric Vehicles.

If you have 5 minutes I would really appreciate it, the more data I can collect the more solidity it gives my findings. I'd also be interested to see any opinions on this topic in the thread so please share if you'd like!

Below is the link to my survey:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdz_D1VbcU2d4FUp7tDZfPni3wHeDey8Kwyd7Elua-rihoJLQ/viewform

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Mostly harmless, short. It seems to have a bias towards measuring "environmental" effects. But one late thought.

If you really want to push environmental effects, make a commercial showing an EV in a traffic jam with windows rolled down. Flash a smoky exhaust pipe and the occupants look at each other and close the windows and turn on AC. Finish with text "HEPA filters, don't leave home without one."

A commercial that would appeal to me, a service technician in an EV in a traffic jam. Driver side window down, "belt squeal" and thought bubble, 'Yeap, failing fan belt.' Closes window and opens passenger side and hears "rod knock." Though bubble, 'There is an engine rebuild.' Both windows up the cabin quiet, the light changes from Red to Green and the EV driver passes the opposite side of the intersection before the ICE cars roar their engines reach only half way. The driver glances in the rear view mirror and thought bubble, 'Suckers! I'll see you in the shop.'

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  4. bwilson4web

Warning about the curious, final page, of the survey:

The Dynamics of Electric Vehicle Promotion:
    Unravelling Marketing Strategies,
    Consumer Perceptions, and
    Environmental Realities.

This morning I was Googling the group "extinction rebellion" to understand why they poured oil on electric vehicles at the New York Auto Show. Closing my web pages, I was struck by how similar their complaints are about electric cars and parallels the survey final page. It was as if they are trolling for future converts to identify who might be sympathetic or susceptible to their group.

I've already burned my regular email as a "greenback dollar" EV fan. It might be fun if someone tickles their survey to fit an anti-EV, environmentally motivated, candidate.

Regardless, the survey to me is 'suspect.'

Bob Wilson

andyG59 likes this.
  5. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

extinction rebellion is just a far left agitation group. They destroy art and block road ways to 'raise awareness' or some garbage like that. All they do is just make normal people, like me, very angry at climate activists and the governments just let them get away with their nonsense. People are getting so frustrated with them that they are starting to assault them when they block roads. lmao

6. bwilson4web

They falsely claim to be "climate activists." Near as I can tell, they want to eliminate private transportation and mandate using a bus. In the UK, substitute insulation for home heating.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. There are a lot of activist kooks these days. Hard to tell sometimes who is who, and what they are really about. Many are just activists for the sake of it, and don't really understand themselves what they really stand for.

9. bwilson4web

Sometimes even paranoids have enemies:
    [​IMG]
    Just my graphic oriented mind matching a pattern.

Bob Wilson

10. SouthernDude

I don't see how this is out of line from the core of any environmental movement, so I wouldn't call them false. lol

11. bwilson4web

Their tactics reveal their true belief.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SouthernDude

yes. they believe they can help 'solve' climate change by either forcing everyone to upgrade all buildings ever to passive house/building standards or forcing everyone to take only public transportation or walk/bike. Its not out of line from what "experts" like Amory Lovins wants anyways. Its just one of the logical conclusions of what the climate movement is heading towards anyways.

14. Where does it end? They are also now trying to tell us what to eat, and not, for the sake of Climate Change. What's next, special masks/covers on our faces and behinds to capture C02? Don't laugh, some of the mainstream proposals today would have been laughed at just 20 years ago.

15. SouthernDude

it ends when the global population is as low as they want it to be. lol. Mainstream environmentalism is neo-Malthusian at its core.

16. bwilson4web

I have more faith in our primate brains. As slow and inefficient as they are, the prospect of "Deep Thought" is both wonder and terror.

Bob Wilson

17. aberdo

aberdo New Member

Autoline Daily has a very good conversation with a political consultant regarding EV mainstream adoption.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. SouthernDude

Virtually all of the 'political' opposition against EVs is people not knowing anything about EV tech and not seeing how it will meet their needs (or the current infrastructure actually doesn't meet their needs) and the reasonable concern that produces when you have organizations clearly demanding to ban all ICE car sales by 2030, which will subsequently lead to an ICE car ownership ban at some point after 2030. There is no 'big fossil fuel conspiracy' its just people not wanting to be forced to switch to a technology that they don't see how it will fit with their current needs. That is it.

Its hilarious to me that this guy is suggesting that it was the republicans that politicized EVs. Give me a break. It wasn't the republicans who decided it was the government's job to dictate how all cars should be made and who want to dictate what car technology people are allowed to buy. The hubris of people who act as if republicans are the ones politicizing things astounds me. EVs were initially marketed with evironmental guilting too. Hardly selling anyone on why the car would be good for them to buy; it was just 'buy or you HATE the climate'. But it was the republicans fault for politicizing. lol

>environmental people are very sweet
    As if. lmao. Shrieking crazy people

Wanna get people in EVs? Just drive them around in one for awhile. Word of mouth is best sales tactic. No reason to rush EV sales either because it will take awhile for the grid to decarboninze more too. Doesn't make sense to grow electricity use when you are also trying to kick coal off the grid.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    R P likes this.
  19. I think you are right on. I have both right and left wing non-EV owner friends, and they seem equally against EVs. Most of their anti-EV understanding comes from the media, who are actually all very left wing. But you are right, when they come for a ride in my EV, they are impressed.

Also matters what EV you have. Our Ioniq 6 is by far the best trip car out there. So range anxiety and fast charging is much less an issue with mine. BUT, many EVs today are not that good for trips, and that's where a lot of the horror stories come from.
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-charging.html

20. SouthernDude

Yeah, the mainstream media, with the exception of fox here, is overwhelmingly left wing. On one hand they say that EVs work for everyone and you are a bigot for questioning them then they will report on some crazy charger failure situation/state that there aren't enough chargers or report on some EV fire. This kind of behavior leads people to believe they are just trying to manipulate them to think something. Granted, I am less sure what fox news says about EVs, nor do I really care because the other MSM lies so much that complaining specifically about fox being wrong is just missing the forest for the trees.

that is the other side of the issue. Who cares about the charging standard 'issue' when its unclear to the average consumer how fast each car can charge and what they can expect to see at charging stations. It wouldn't matter if there were NACS or CCS plugs everywhere because you can use adapters between them. Hardly confusing when compared to the different charging rates across DC chargers. Also, most people don't have a map of EV chargers just memorized in their heads so they don't know what is actually out there. These things put together created a warranted concern over range

Then you have the question of battery longevity or risk of faulty battery. I really don't understand this particular issue. I get the impression that if I intend to own an EV for a long time, I should just view the battery capacity/rated range as being 90% of what is advertised and plan from that. For example, a 300 mile EV I will plan as being a 270 mile range because of degradation. Some cars have less degradation, but its not like I have some firm grasp on it nor are there many EV models with more than 5 years of use anyways.

21. Yes, that is another fear. The good news is that the newer cars have much better BMS and TMS systems, so the batteries are better protected and will last longer. The worst ones in the past were the passive TMS systems like the old Leafs. But even with those, it is surprising how long they last (outside of AZ). And the older an EV is the more available are reasonably priced refurbished batteries. That is also now true for Tesla batteries as well. It will take some time before some of the newer cars, like the 800V Hyundais to have refurbishing options available. But they will happen, as the new batteries are also designed to have parts of the battery repaired or replaced. In the meantime, you have long warranties and insurance (replacement) to cover accidental damage. So even this does not have to be a concern.

22. SouthernDude

Well, there are two concerns with regards to battery failure. The first concern is what is the likelihood that a battery will just fail outside of the warranty period and the second is what is the rate of degradation of the battery generally. its not an issue if you can expect your battery to have 90%+ of its original capacity after 20 years of operation. Yes most cars on the road come after 2000, but 2000 was 24 years ago and the lower the rate of degradation, the better the prospect is for having a used EV. Its not extremely uncommon for people to have a car for 10 years or more. I have had my existing car since 2009. I will have to buy used because i am not made of money. lol

23. I don't think it is any different with an ICE car. Complete failure of an engine or transmission is rare, yet possible, same with batteries. With EVs you are most likely to have unexpected failures in the first couple years. They were more common a few years ago, but still happens. And those are covered by warranty.

If you are looking for a used EV, you might be able to get a good deal if you shop carefully. Generally, depreciation is very high esp with the higher priced ones. Not sure what your price range is, but you actually have a lot of choices, from cheap Bolts (with recent new battery replacements) to higher priced luxury cars (which have the highest depreciation). Teslas have recently come down a lot due to the drop in their new car prices.
    https://www.motor1.com/news/714685/mercedes-benz-eqs-loses-nearly-half-value/