Another black eye for Nissan in Canada

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Paul K, Mar 14, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Yet another story of a distraught Leaf owner in Canada. Check this out.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/when-a-leaf-is-a-brick-1.7142342

This was the same year, colour and battery of my first Leaf. I only traded in my 2016 on a 2018 to get the soon to be cancelled subsidies by the incoming Conservative government. This may have turned out in my favour as they did a good job on the design and battery refresh. I really liked my 2018 40kwh and had zero issues with overheating. It was still showing all the capacity bars bars at 92,000 kms but according to the GOM had lost about 10% of it's range in 5 years.

It wasn't the lack of active thermal management that did them in. They were just crummy batteries. The lack of support shown by Nissan in making replacements available is downright inexcusable. They don't deserve to stay in business if this is the best they can do.

Mind you Nissan owners haven't been the only ones staggered by the cost of replacing a traction battery. What we need is a revision of the lemon laws to include products that experience catastrophic failures within a reasonable product lifespan. The manufacturers would be forced either to make the necessary repairs at reasonable costs OR buy the product back at the market value of one in good working order. This might smarten them up a bit.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJP

DJP Active Member

I remembered there's a mob in Quebec that installs Leaf batteries. Here's their website https://ve.simonandre.ca/?page_id=1571 . It's all in French but the two videos have English as subtitles. They successfully installed a 62kW battery into a 2015 Leaf. I think with a bit more research CBC could have found that the guy can replace his battery and not have to buy a new one from Nissan. The problem he had is pretty unique for Leaf's.

4. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

The "mob" is installing batteries? Do they make you an offer you can't refuse? ha ha

insightman and electriceddy like this.