Alarm-like noise from the head unit

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ralfalfa, Feb 5, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ralfalfa

ralfalfa Member

This is a new one, at least for me. During my morning commute I was listening to a podcast via a USB connection to my phone. Suddenly a very loud alarm-like noise came out of the car speakers; a grating, static-like multi-frequency sound similar to the tones that start the National Emergency Broadcast System. There was no trigger for the "alarm"; I hadn't been touching any buttons or adjusting anything, just driving along normally.

I went into analytical mode of course. Nothing was visibly wrong with the car, it was driving normally and there were no warning lights on the dashboard. The head unit tablet also looked normal, but was completely unresponsive- no response at all from any touchscreen controls or the buttons on the left and the volume buttons on the steering wheel did nothing. I unplugged the USB cord from my phone and nothing changed. After that I pressed and held the power button for a full 10 seconds while driving. There was no response to that either- just the loud, alarm-like noise continuing and everything else looking absolutely normal.

I decided to pull over and see what turning off and restarting the car would do, but it was a busy road with no safe spot to pull over. Before I could do that, and maybe about two minutes after the whole thing started, the noise vanished and the head unit went blank, and restarted itself with the familiar Honda logo and the normal sequence. Everything functioned perfectly normal after that- I plugged my phone back in and everything worked like it should.

Have any of you experienced something similar? I searched the forum this morning but didn't find any mention of an experience like this in any other posts. If I had a way to recreate this I'd consider taking the car in to the dealer, but without a way to demonstrate what happened that's typically a waste of time. I considered taking a video but wasn't going to do that while driving a car that's screaming at me....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

This is super weird. I think you need a dealer appointment.