Driver's Side Sun Visor

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sethna2, Oct 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sethna2

Sethna2 New Member

Do you know where I can purchase a sun visor (driver's side) for my 2018 Clarity Touring PHEV? I called the local dealer and they want $375 plus installation. That's absurd, especially considering I purchased the extended warranty (which does not cover the visor per the dealer--"normal wear and tear").

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm curious what happened to your sun visor after only four years. Why did it fail? Do you move it around a lot? $400 plus is ridiculous for replacement. Alternatives would include a local auto recycler or eBay. Try Googling on Chrome "honda clarity sun visor". You'll get a lot of hits.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

5. Per the Honda Care VSC, sun visors are excluded (except for the sun visor support and vanity mirror). Also of note, a mechanical breakdown must be due solely to a defect in materials or workmanship.

6. JCA

JCA Active Member

My Clarity hasn't had this issue yet, but if it's like what happened to my 2007 Civic visor (the clamshell split apart so it wouldn't stay up), it's a common Honda visor problem. I repaired it as shown in these videos:

I would argue this is a defect that should be covered for sure while the car is under warranty, but apparently Honda disagrees. In my case the car was well out of warranty; I think it started having issues after 5-6 years and I finally repaired 2-3 years later, and the fix has held for at least 6-7 years now. Not the prettiest, but not that noticeable either.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

So just started to happen but in my case, to the passenger side, which gets less use. I understand that Honda Care doesn't cover the visors, but what is the "sun visor support" that it is covered.

Dealer said Honda may cover the driver's side as it can be considered a driving hazard.

9. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

My daughter has a 2007 Civic (apparently renowned for this as discussed in both videos linked in the previous post).

When this first happened to her, we installed a fairly large 'paper clamp' over the separated area.
    one of these:

upload_2024-2-10_6-41-8.png
    You can remove the silver handle once it is in place. You want a pretty heavy one (maybe 2 or 3 inches).

You may consider this a band-aid solution while perusing something more permanent. For my daughter, it continues to work fine (after many years). It is pretty unobtrusive too without the silver handle.

insightman likes this.
  10. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

It must be common, my 09 Accord had the same issue.