Blank Console (Quick Help Needed) 2019 Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JedK, Jan 28, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. JedK

JedK Member

I'm trying to get a quick answer because my wife is freaking out a bit.
    She's about an hour away, so I can't help her directly.

She says the console is blank. She only sees a circle in the middle (she didn't send any images). She tried different drive modes. When driving, she doesn't know her speed, or how much charge she has left (but I think there is plenty as I just charged it a couple of days ago).

I think she needs to disconnect the battery, but that isn't happening.

Does anyone know if there is some button on the console, or somewhere that will reset the screen?

Thanks,
    Jed K

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. No, but the 12V battery disconnect should get you past it if it doesn't clear itself. A 10mm wrench is all that needed, applied to the negative terminal.

If it's a 2018/2019 example there was a software update for this 4 years ago.

4. If this is a representation, it seems to be a one off software glitch. Check the 12V battery level when car gets home. In my case it resolved after a restart several minutes later.
    If your model includes a HUD, it should work and give some indication of speed at least.
    [​IMG]

5. JedK

JedK Member

@electiceddy,

Thanks for the reply. I hope it was a "one-off".

When it first happened, I told her to pull over, and turn the car off. Wait a few minutes, and restart.
    That didn't help her. Then she drove about an hour (console similar to your image above), sure she was going to get a speeding ticket (more likely a driving too slow ticket :) )
    She turned the car off, and went into a restaurant for about 30 minutes. When she came back, she said the console was back.
    My guess is she didn't wait a few minutes when she powered down the car.
    Now the car has been off for about 3 hours, and she should be returning home. Since I haven't heard from her, I'm assuming the console is lit up.

Thanks again,
    Jed K

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

This actually happened to me about a week ago. I pulled over, shut the car off, restarted and it was fine. I did not leave it off for more than a minute. Kinda like restarting your PC when it has a glitch or freezes up. If your wife left it off for several minutes and it didn't work when she restarted, that's concerning.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JedK

JedK Member

She said she just turned it off, and turned it back on.
    Only after leaving the car for a while, and returning, did it come back on. Haven't had any problems since that time.

9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Definitely different from my experience. I don't think I left the car off for even a full 30 seconds, and when I restarted everything was fine. In any case, it's an unnerving bug -- but apparently not as bad as some Chevy Blazer EV drivers have experienced.

10. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

This is not an EV specific problem per se. I had an Audi the dash would croak on. Annoying though. Is this software or hardware in this case? I've not seen it in mine, my firmware is 100% up to date.