"KFC Fuel Pump" Recall?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ClarityDoc, Dec 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. McZwick

McZwick New Member

Did you get that through the Hondalink app? I haven't received anything.

4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

2019 and 2020 models only, apparently. 2018s should be safe.

McZwick likes this.
  5. McZwick

McZwick New Member

Happy to avoid it, happier still to know that I didn't miss out on something that I should have found out about! Thank you!

6. Is that a legitimate recall? (#KGC.) As of yesterday there is one recall on the 2019 for a seatbelt inspection and no recalls for the 2020. That recall does make me want some fried chicken, for sure. IMG_3114.jpeg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NaughtyNeutron

NaughtyNeutron New Member

PA
    Received this on the CARFAX app, checked the NHSTA.gov and for my VIN it showed nothing. However I guess the gov website takes a while before it’s updated. HondaLink too shows nothing. The AC issue is something I’m fighting with have to get it replaced in spring/summer. It was blowing Luke warm air in the summer, just didn’t get time to go to fix it. That’s surely broken for me.

9. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Got the notice via Carfax - dealer I purchased my Clarity from recently gave a free sub FWIW. Now I realize that my tire rotations at Costco are not being tracked - is that a good thing? What I also noticed is that Honda's My Garage does not have any records since 2019!

10. MyGarage only has the records from dealer service departments or those added manually by the owner. I add my work done by myself or elsewhere mostly because have an extended warranty and it's a convenient place to store the oil changes etc.

11. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Right, but for some reason, my dealer stopped updating this since 2019. I do the oil changes there since it's free. These are being tracked in Carfax, but odd not by Honda. I do have records/dates/mileage so I'll upload these here.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

Clarity 2018
    Hondalink Canada popped up the recall msg - Honda Canada and my VIN shows the recall "fuel pump may seize" wonder what other cars it affects?

14. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

To add - checking around on the interwebs and noticed that this issue goes back to at least 2020 and various other Honda and other brands have the problem. supposedly the impeller might swell and block flow. I wonder if ethanol free gas would be better? Also as I and others here mostly don't use our engines and even if we did the battery would keep us going for a while if the engine cut out.
    info: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/fuel-pump-recall-discussion-merged-master-thread.219060/page-4

15. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I got this CarFax message as well. It seems to me that the risk of failure in the Clarity would seem to be pretty low since I have never seen a failure discussed in the Clarity forums.

16. Larry Hardin

Larry Hardin New Member

17. Does anyone consider it reasonable to question the validity of the information provided by CarFax?

18. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Here's your "straight from the horse's mouth" notice (HondaLink).

I wonder if the dealers complained that they needed some work here at the end of the year. Also saw a recall on another Honda yesterday. "OK release a batch of recalls, the dealers are slow."

Attached Files:

19. Thanks. The Honda site updated yesterday as well. Looks to be for 2018 and 2019 only. IMG_3119.jpeg IMG_3120.jpeg

20. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

2018 clarity phev touring. Same alert came up when i opened Honda app on my phone. Called dealer. They can’t make appointment yet as they don’t have the part. Told to wait until I receive letter from Honda in snail mail.

21. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Turns out 2018 is actually affected. NHTSA website is showing it on my VIN now. Hope it doesn't hit whole I'm 800 miles away from home...

22. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I got the feeling I was about the 50th person to call the dealership today. . They said they would know more in January. Both of my 2018s (clarity and crv) will be paying a visit to the dealership next year.

23. Allantheprinter

Allantheprinter New Member

Per the AP today (bolding added by me):
    Updated 7:00 AM PST, December 21, 2023
    NEW YORK (AP) — Honda Motor’s American arm is recalling more than 2.5 million vehicles in the U.S. due to a fuel pump defect that can increase risks of engine failure or stalling while driving.

According to documents published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the fuel pump impeller used for in 2017-2020 Acura and Honda vehicles was improperly molded. This results in low-density impellers, which “can deform and interfere with the fuel pump body” over time, regulators said, leading to an inoperative fuel pump.

“Countermeasure replacement parts are not available in sufficient quantities for all recalled vehicles at the time of this announcement, and American Honda intends to notify vehicle owners in stages,” Honda wrote.

The automaker said Thursday that it will replace fuel pumps for all vehicles impacted by the recall at no cost in separate phases, with the first batch of owner notification letters going out in February.

1. 2018-2020 Honda Accord
    2. 2017-2020 Honda Accord Hybrid
    3. 2018-2020 Honda Civic 4D
    4. 2018-2020 Honda Civic 2D
    5. 2018-2020 Honda Civic 5D
    6. 2018-2020 Honda Civic Type R
    7. 2018-2019 Honda Clarity PHEV