"Charging interrupted" at 99%, repeatedly.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Dec 2, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    That's what it seems like, my regular and repeatable problems started a little over a month ago. Today's repeated test was a top-up last night, left plugged-in, no cabin conditioning before this morning's departure, and no issues. I'm plugged in now and fully charged, and will initiate conditioning in the morning before leaving. If it pops up the error, I'll try disabling the Grizzl-e's wifi for a few tests cycles.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

If your unit is anything like mine, its a pain to disable and re-enable wifi as, in addition to getting into the box and setting switches, you will have to set up wifi again. Set up to me was a process filled with opportunities for operator error... and reopening the box and to try again.

If it was me, if it now is working as you like, don't touch it.. :)

4. SameGuy

YUL
    This morning's test was conclusive enough, pinning down behavior, but not yet the cause. Started cabin pre-con from just outside the car right before leaving, the cluster showed the red "unable to charge" error and 100%, which dropped to 99% within a few seconds. Next test will be a different EVSE, probably Sunday morning.

5. SameGuy

YUL
    Initial test with the BMW Flexible Fast Charger (FFC). Sigh. Everything went without a hitch. Charged to 100% yesterday afternoon, left plugged in. Called for cabin pre-conditioning a half hour before departure, and got to a toasty car that was showing 100% and no check control messages. I'll repeat the test tomorrow, then likely contact United Chargers for guidance.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Well it's time to attach some wire to tie down your tuque...and flip the dip switch!

grizzledip.JPG

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    Yup, I'll try it as a "dumb" EVSE before chatting with support.

teslarati97 likes this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    And there we go, Grizzl-e worked fine as a dumb EVSE. Charged from 72 to 100%, then later called up cabin conditioning and ran it for 20 minutes, car remains at 100% with no messages. Will do a wifi reset and check my firewall and PiHole, then try again.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    Ok, I need clarification here. Resetting the wifi has disconnected the Smart from ChargeLab. I do not want to connect to ChargeLab, but I want to keep the unit online for any OTA firmware updates it might get. Must I connect to ChargeLab to actually get it online? Ran pre-con for a while (unplugged) to eat some juice and will charge again with reset wifi connected. Fingers crossed!

11. SameGuy

YUL
    Sigh

IMG_2444.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Filed a ticket with United Chargers, including the following note:

14. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Years ago United Chargers outsourced firmware updates to chargelab. You need to be connected to chargelab to get firmware. Dunno if they can disable everything else.

15. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I saw a notice on their facebook page that they are launching their own software for smart features and figuring out how to connect all chargelab chargers back to their server. Sounds like a work in progress. So you found that the charger will require an update to work with United Charger servers?

BTW, the reviews of the app says it is pretty much junk at this time.

OK, saw this:

https://grizzl-e.com/chargelab-unit-upgrade/

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    SameGuy likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    Mine was made before their cutoff date, so they want $150 plus shipping both ways. I'm not impressed.

17. SameGuy

YUL
    The ChargeLab TSR has been looped into my ticket, and reported back to the Grizzl-e TSR that she'd downloaded a snapshot of my EVSE's signal strength reports and events.

IMG_2451.png
    Waiting for Grizzly-e to follow up now.

18. SameGuy

YUL

19. SameGuy

YUL
  20. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I noticed the same precondition thing a couple days ago. So there are at least three of us. It was plugged in overnight as I was expecting an early morning trip and wanted to precondition without eating into battery range. But I was disappointed to find it failed to connect. After unplugging and plugging back in it accepted the apps's precondition command and I let it warm up a bit on AC power before taking off. Similar to issues with charging lately where it won't connect until I unplug and plug it back in. Dunno if its the colder weather (15F) or recent firmware updates as previously it reconditioned just fine.

SameGuy likes this.
  21. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Seems this AM's precondition went without a hitch and later charged on first try. Wonder if they pushed a FW update, or it is just a fluke.

Jim In Tucson and SameGuy like this.
  22. SameGuy

YUL
    I'm plugged in right now and at 100%. I'll initiate and report back. I think I was half asleep Friday morning and called for cabin precon and didn't notice any errors but maybe I didn't do that; it was mild on Friday and my garage was warm so I don't remember the car being particularly toasty.

23. SameGuy

YUL
    Update: initiated preconditioning with the car plugged in and fully charged (solid green light). I let it run 25 minutes and went to the garage: the compressor was cycling normally, and the green light was flashing, indicating it was drawing juice from the mains. Unplugged, sat in the car and started up: 100% and no errors or check control messages, and the HVAC switched from Comfort Climate mode to Automatic. I shut down and plugged back in, the light began its flashing-blue "handshake" signal without switching to either green signal. I just picked up my phone and this is the Lock Screen:

IMG_2516.png

insightman likes this.