Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Looking at the retail prices of other Chinese-made EVs, it's unlikely the J01 would sell for significantly less after crossing the Pacific instead of the Atlantic. I'd be surprised if MINI Canada offered it here for 27.5% less lol, the MSRP for the Volvo EX30 is higher in Canada after currency exchange! Is Volvo eating the tariff in the US? Or does Volvo Canada know that we are all idiots up here?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yes this economic pricing policy is generally referred to as dumping, so there will probably be some anti-dumping tariff. Anyways Volvo bought the bankrupt electric bus company Proterra so they can just let the EX30 be a loss leader and make the real $$$ from municipalities.

4. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Still no info on curb weight? Seems like there must be at least a small bump if the base has 184hp but is up to 7.3s 0-60.

5. teslarati97

The German brochure says 1,615kg (3,560lbs) for E and 1,680kg (3,703lbs) for SE.

minitechdata2025.JPG

Attached Files:

6. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Wow, 140lb for 14kwh of battery must mean there’s not much extra hardware needed for the higher power drivetrain. Or maybe the power boost is purely software and it can be jailbroken LOL

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

That's quite a weight penalty over the current SE, no?

@insightman

JonR likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'll say! That extra poundage ensures I won't consider buying a J01--should it ever get to the US. I was surprised the Honda e (with just a slightly larger battery than an SE) is heavier than the SE even though the Honda e was a ground-up new design. I'm even more surprised BMW/Great Wall Motor couldn't find some automotive Ozempic to keep the weight more reasonable.

ghost likes this.
  10. teslarati97

I think the J01 is using LFP. Even at 200Wh/kg (it's usually ~160Wh/kg), an extra 13.5kWh gross will be 67.5kg of added weight.

Yes the J01 base engine is very likely de-tuned.

11. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Wow. LFP could also explain why they need 50kWh to put out 160kW.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. EAC

EAC New Member

Given that theres a ~5% delta between gross and net battery capacity, and the J01 software (on the preview models) is default set to a max 80% charge, its safe to say the battery tech is NMC.

Also although its still heavy, the weights listed are EU weights, which includes 75kg for the driver. So the actual weights should be 1,540kg for the Cooper E and 1,605kg for the SE.

fizzit likes this.
  14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I wonder how they perform in extreme cold. Is MINI still using CATL batteries? I've found they seem to make the best cold-weather performing batteries, and the SE is amazingly robust for the extreme weather I've had mine in (range roughly from -30 ºF to 100 ºF).

15. insightman

SameGuy likes this.
  16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Those numbers are only about SE / Oxford GVWR 3913 lbs./1775 kg.Curb weight 3144lbs./1426 kg.that means Cargo passengers 769 lbs./348.81kg.According to brochure you picture (Leergewicht German means empty English a weight is 3703 lbs. /1680 kg.that number means I will be only driver bc I weight 210 lbs.which make maximum GVWR of 3913 lbs.What I try to say that German brochure is wrong at least about weight of SE .China car I have no interest at all ,I keep my classic Mini Cooper SE forever. IMG_1240.jpeg

17. insightman

@fishbert cited the 380-lb. bump in the 4th post of this thread on September 1st. However, I haven't found that info anywhere else. I didn't find weight mentioned in the first four J01 intro videos he presented in the thread's first post. It might have been in the fifth video, which isn't in English.

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

And here's the J01 JCW model. Same performance as the J01 SE, but with JCW styling.

upload_2023-12-9_22-43-55.png

19. teslarati97

Nice. I can't wait to put down an order for the lighter J01 E with JCW styling and then retrofit a single exhaust like the 2025 F66 ICE JCW.

20. insightman

If there's a J01 with JCW trim, that means there won't be an actual JCW J01, right? I'm guessing no one would want to pay big bucks for a JCW J01 only to have it look exactly like the slow-poke SE wearing JCW trim.

21. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

This isn't the first time that JCW was available as trim/styling package without any mechanical differences, though, is it?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  22. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Motoring File is reporting the JCW Aceman will have 250hp, vs the 218hp of the S. Hopefully that gets ported down to the actual JCW 3 door.

The JCW-line trim is similar to what BMW does on their cars and SUVs so no surprise there.

MichaelC and SameGuy like this.