Regen Paddle Failing

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Mar 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Glad I have the 8-year Honda Care Plan on this car.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

They told me they had to remove the steering wheel not the column.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Right now I see at least 12 of these for sale on eBay ranging from $160 to $350.
    Search for "Honda Clarity Display"

It has been confirmed by another forum member here that it doesn't matter if the display is from a Touring or a Base model. It will work on either.
    Some of the eBay displays are from Fuel Cell vehicles (probably because they have mostly been scrapped). Although we have no confirmation, if you look at the Honda parts sites, it shows all 3 vehicles FCEV, PHEV, and PHEV Touring use the same display unit so it is likely any would work

insightman likes this.
  5. MeNerdHair

MeNerdHair New Member

Same issue here. I didn't realize it was the switch, because I figured the (+) paddle increased regen, and pulling it would always show one chevron.

Replacing the switch requires pulling the steering wheel, and reinstalling it is supposed to be done with a new bolt. I got the switch for $60 and the bolt for $12, should come in tomorrow.

6. MeNerdHair

MeNerdHair New Member

Update: turns out you don't technically need to pull the wheel. You can pry out the top trim part from the urethane overmold to the screws holding the paddle shifters in, after you unlatch the appropriate wire harness cables. Tight fit but doable. (Still glad I took my wheel off, since I was able to bring it inside and give it a good cleaning.)

Also, FWIW, you don't really need a new bolt -- it's held on w/ 36 ft-lbs of torque and gets nowhere even vaugely near its yield strength. You just need the fresh green threadlocker stuff that comes on the new bolt. Could have saved a couple bucks!

7. To remove this ad click here.