New Generation Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I do, and for some it will be a great EV.
    Probably a bit too small for my requirements. Add to that, the dealership is on Yates St. in Victoria, (none in Nanaimo). From my location 115 km away (~1.5 hrs driving on a good day)... I can't see myself making an all-day excursion at best once a year. What if it needs a tow?
    It is nice benefit to have a local dealership, especially when the weather changes. That hwy section over the Malahat is treacherous in the winter, and typically a parking lot from commuters and travelers even in good weather.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Polestar 2 is another alternative in this price range, but a car and rwd. Twenty years ago I would have jumped for the dynamics of rwd but I've grown to appreciate the better traction and controllability of fwd in slippery conditions.

4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

It will be able to take Polestar AWD, too. But in general PS stand on a higher price shelf than Kona, am I right?

5. The Kona Electric starts at only $500 Canadian less than the Polestar 2.

6. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Hmm, in Europe:
    PS2 standard range single motor starts at 50190 euro. Kona electric at 41990 euro. 50k level is about Ioniq 5 here.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Alex on Autos does a good overview in this video and is surprisingly enthusiastic about the possibility of adding a spare tire.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hyundai doesn't want to make the Kona EV too good because then it would mess with sales of the Ioniq 5.

The heat pump is surely a welcome range-extending improvement. Slow charging in a car with a relatively small battery isn't a huge problem (says man with a MINI Cooper SE).

It's too bad there isn't an app for the Kona that lets owners disable the irritable bonging like the Bimmercode app can do for BMWs and MINIs. Bimmercode gave my MINI the AM radio BMW included, but then disabled with software.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I really like what they've done with the redesign. Fast charging is being pushed as such an importance that most people don't look beyond that. Most people won't drive beyond the distance of the battery's range more than a handful of times a year.
    In my area, good studded winter tires are all that are needed since it's not all wheel drive.

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Another feature I noticed on the Alex-on-Autos video is that there appears to be a seal on the charge cover port latch. I suspect that dirt and water were getting in and that had resulted in quite a few failures on the 2018-2023 Kona.

upload_2023-9-16_14-10-13.png

electriceddy likes this.
  13. In these parts. an Ionic 5 is still a 2 year wait. There definitely is a province wide wait list - if one is not purchased after an order is delivered, it will be shipped to the dealer with next one on the list (wherever within the province that may be) on approval of purchase, just received an e-mail confirming that from my dealer.

The addition of V2L is one of those overlooked benefits, really happy to see this feature included.

aamyotte and insightman like this.
  14. Another new-ish video, this one from a UK presenter who appears to be in the Czech Republic. Also a link to a full spec sheet for UK models that includes pricing. Note that we're back to 160 kW of motor power for the 65 kWh models.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  15. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Except of seal, that new charging port cover is heated as well.

16. This was posted on Facebook today, for what it’s worth…
    upload_2023-10-27_21-4-46.png

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Recent charge tests from Bjorn:

Shows the above re-calibration during charging occurs @ 70% SOC. The temperature was colder, so the delay may have occurred earlier in the cycle. As a bonus an improved charging rate was recorded compared to the first generation, so not all bad. A software update in the future to possibly create this delay at a higher SOC might not to be unexpected to eliminate what Bjorn describes as a "Korean Siesta":D

Also a good comparison between 2024 Kona EV and ID.4 (cold soaked AC charging):

Notice the efficiency is slightly better in the ID.4 than the Kona EV (84% - 16% losses using the battery heater ID.4 vs 81% - 19% losses with Kona EV). The Kona EV did however charge faster vs the ID.4 slower charging curve.;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
  18. What had caught my attention yesterday after watching the first video is that the pack voltage of around 450 VDC while charging at around 96% (disp) doesn't jive with the 2023+ Kia Niro (64.8 kWh) pack specifications which has a 96S-1P layout. The Kona is about 75 V higher, a significant difference.

96 cells in series x 4.16 V (fully charged) = 399 V, far below 450. Resistance losses due to the 40 A would not account for more than a few volts.

Something is amiss. Either the 2024+ Kona has a different cell configuration than the Niro or there is DC power conversion happening to limit the maximum current from the charger. I've looked but can't find the spec for the new Kona's battery layout.

19. According to FastNED the 2023+ Niro charging speed peaks at 82 kW while we know the 2024+ Kona can hit around 100. This must explain why the Kona took a year longer to develop. I'm trying to locate a photo of the Kona's battery pack label.

20. I've been going over the newly released specs for the Canadian Kona EV 2024 and it appears that it does not include the VtoL option. Can anybody confirm or deny?

21. Not sure which source "newly released specs", however this shows the N>A> specs and does indeed include V2L 1.7 kW option.
    It may not however be included in a base trim.

22. Newly released as in the Hyundai website just listed them and opened the waitlist on Friday. I didn't see it mentioned there at all.

*The site you link to is U.S. specs. I guess there are differences. I notice they offer Yellow paint and the tires are 19" vs 17" in Canada.

* Seems a bit odd given that the Kia not only includes it but features it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    electriceddy likes this.