Does this V4 Supercharger operation look OK?

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Sep 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Just curious if any of our technical crew like @hobbit see anything wrong with this approach?

It was similar to the ChargePoint CCS-1 station I used last Saturday with my BMW i3-REx in Tuscumbia. I used the ChargePoint App which also handles the credit card charge.

All BMW i3 lost their network link when G3 was retired. But the ChargePoint App let me monitor charging progress so I was able to unplug at 98% SOC.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Because Tesla caved and used CCS charging ports with the cars they sent across the Atlantic, there's no Magic Dock required for this Ioniq to charge at a Supercharger.

Was Tesla limiting non-Tesla vehicles (the Ioniq 5 in the video) to a paltry 42 kW charging rate? Is the charging cable (which is attached to the front of the Supercharger) actually long enough to stretch to the right side, rear of an Ioniq 5 parked in the correct stall?

I wish the videographer had tried to persuade the Ioniq 5 owner to try another Supercharger, and park in the stall associated with that Supercharger. I'd guess the Ioniq 5 user probably did move to another Supercharger rather than wait more than twice as long to charge at 42 kW.

If I was that Ioniq 5 owner, I'd choose the Supercharger that was delivering more than 100 kW to a Tesla. Then he/she/we would know if Tesla is being kW-preferential to their cars. I don't know why Tesla would limit the kW to non-Tesla vehicles because that would potentially force Tesla owners to wait longer for a Supercharger while non-Teslas slowly finish charging.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. The Hyundai Ioniq 5, like other models with 800-volt battery architecture, can not charge quickly on Tesla Superchargers. The situation with Lucid is especially bad.
    This should change, as Tesla is expected to move to 1,000 volt Superchargers with V4, and automakers are finding innovative ways to boost charging power levels from lower voltage DC fast charging.

*Edit to add: the car in the video is an older Hyundai Ioniq with a small 38-kWh battery and it just charges slow. Nothing to do with the Supercharger in this case, I believe.

insightman likes this.
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't think I would call it caving. Didn't the EU government mandate the use of CCS?

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. insightman

Yes, perhaps I was a bit too harsh to claim "caving" when Tesla had no alternative but to provide CCS charging in EU countries.

Elon's decision to name his connector the "North American Charging Standard" may someday haunt the EU if the EU caves (this time it would be the appropriate verb) and switches their mandate to NACS connectors due the overwhelming number of NACS-equipped EVs EU companies are building for North America.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Europe uses CCS 2 unlike here in the US.
    Supposedly a lot more reliable.

9. bwilson4web

Great! I'll drive right over to get a charge.

Bob Wilson

10. insightman

I don't believe it's the CCS connector that causes reliability problems in NA, but instead poorly designed charging stations, poorly designed charging-station software, and a lack of timely maintenance.

11. bwilson4web

Both CSS plugs have a breakable latch that operates a switch and resistor on the ‘presence’ line. Once broken, the plug can not be recognized by the car.

I have had to ‘fix’ a Whole Foods plug with a small spring and JB Weld.

As for CCS charging stations, the billing and abysmal electronics makes using them unreliable. Worse are EVs like my BMW i3-REx that charges 45-50 kW max like the Bolt and Leaf(?).

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

Thanks for pointing out the weakness of the CCS connector. You need a business card, "CCS Healer."

My MINI Cooper SE (with the motor from the quickest i3) also charges at a paltry 50 kW, but the paltry 32.6 kWh battery and a well-shaped charging curve make for a reasonable charging time (for an urban-centric vehicle).

GetOffYourGas and Puppethead like this.
  14. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

That worked for a while but now the chargers are completely removed. :(

15. bwilson4web

My understanding is the property owner insisted after a ChargePoint rep showed up.

Bob Wilson

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The latch on a CCS2 connector is quite different from the ones that we have. This guy rather verbosely explains the difference.

CCS2 supports 3-phase AC charging. NACS cannot - there aren't enough pins.

17. bwilson4web

Actually Sandy Munro's tear down of an early Model 3 showed board space for 3-phase charging. My understanding is the early EU models supported 3-phase, AC charging.

The North American practice is to provide 3-phase to commercial customers who then use two legs for 108-110 VAC outlets and devices. Residential customers typically get just split phase for 120 VAC and 240 VAC.

Certainly 3-phase conversion to DC is a lot easier than split phase to DC.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Small correction...208/120V for 3 phase ...1.732*120 (L to N) =207.84 (L to L);)
    Industrial establishments generally 277/480 and 347/600 (lots of motors and lighting), open delta is also not uncommon, requiring only 2 transformers for equipment savings, just watch out for the stinger leg:eek:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    bwilson4web likes this.
  19. I really like that the dispensers are on the side of the parking space instead of the end. In a site with that configuration, (and with the NACS adapter, permissions, Ford and Tesla software working together, etc. in 2024,) I could back in to the correct space and the longer cable would reach my Mach E charge port.

Domenick and bwilson4web like this.