Current Mileage and any noticable issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by doggyworld, Oct 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Found a GDS printout on the floor when I got home. The fault code they found when I first arrived at the dealer was P0A0A12, High Voltage System Interlock Circuit.

Lars, electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I don't drive a lot, so I just passed 16,000 miles on my 2020. I've had two problems: The charging door refusing to open at about 14,800 miles, fixed under warranty, and recently a buzzing noise from the driver's door lock when locks or unlocks -- which is supposed to be fixed later this month.

4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

83 kkm so far, Kona 2020, 2,5 yrs of driving, no issues, no battery degradation (still best declared range about 522-525 km at 100% SoC in ideal summer conditions, w/o AC).

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

2021, 26k, just got the coolant update [I think, the relevant parts looked completely untouched and the service
    manager got super-defensive when I asked what was done]. Just plug-patched the second tire problem
    on it. On my third fill of reduction-gear oil. I do wish it had come with the battery heater, as charging a
    cold pack is no fun.

I'm a little more eager about whenever the next roadtrip comes along, with the improvement of taking the
    whole shotgun seat out for more bed and storage space.

_H*

6. It's shame we don't have a battery pre-heat option, presumably an easy software addition. But if it's any consolation, I’ve read of two incidents where the battery heater internal fuse melted. In the one case that caused a loss of HV isolation triggering the dreaded 'check electrical system' warning.
    Powertrain noises are now being reported as frequently as ever with one Ioniq 28kWh owner having to purchase a new GRU himself. His report and internal photos of the old one are here.

22kona likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2021 Kona, picked up new on 2020 August 31. Current 'milage' 54,650km.
    - EV battery replaced under the battery replacement program (warranty)
    - Blue coolant was replaced (warranty)
    - Two flat tires - no spare is a pain. But I had total of three flat in 52 years of driving.
    - Recently - last few months - observing some repetitive noise related to speed. Not very easy to hear but it is there. My EV is no longer completely quiet! Best to observe when travelling on recently paved roads where the tire/road noise is minimal. At low speeds is an electric motor 'humm', at 80km/h start sounds like a wheel you spin with spikes on a country fair to win something. I checked with my tore dealer, it is definitely not caused by the tires.

Others had similar issue with their Kona EV. Apparently there is service bulletin out about this noise, covering a range of cars.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. That would be the GRU and or motor, definitely have it investigated with this TSB in hand. Fortunately, your car manufacture date is within the specified period to 1/19/21.
    The earlier, the better, as replacement parts may take some time to arrive.;)

10. Actually I am taking her in for 60,000km service tomorrow. I already told them to check it out. It is very faint, but definitely a new sound. You really have to listen to it while driving on new pavement or the road/tire noise will mask it pretty well. I don't hope too for much, but at least the issue will be on record.

11. Update --- 2023-09-03
    I picked a lousy day for the 60,000km service appointment. It was raining all day. The tech offered a test drive to check the reduction gear noise. The test drive was inconclusive. The road noise (tires on wet pavement) completely masked the faint transmission noise I was complaining about. However, I have now the issue recorded on the service record on my car. The tech suggested to keep driving the car and try to record the noise and take it back when the roads are dry. He will be happy to test drive it with me. I will try to do this on a good quality pavement and dry road.

Just a note here. To my surprise I had no push back or questioning of my claim. The tech said that he "needs more evidence to have an order for a new tranny approved". That statement indicates to me that they are aware of problems with the reduction gear.
    However, when I suggested to change the reduction gear oil, just to see what happens there was a slight push back. The tech suggested that they will do it - at my cost. But he said "why waste money"? The reduction gear assy is warranted for 8 years. and the maintenance schedule does not call for it for now.

As a final note we still love our car! No intent to trade it.

Wildeyed and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.