So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kerbe, Aug 2, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Today I traded in Electra...
    car 1.jpg

for Electra II...
    Electra II wrap.png

It's been fun forum-ing with all y'all and wish you all the best with your Clarity travels!

Domenick, Madmartigen, Mark W and 4 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Very nice...
    Tesla's are pretty attractive right now because of the price reductions an the renewed federal tax credit.
    Might we ask - how much did they give you for your Clarity?

Mark W likes this.
  4. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Exactly - and, had the stars aligned a bit sooner, I'd have saved another $1K when white was the "free" paint color... But I got $500 off for using a referral, so that helped. The Clarity was in pristine condition - it had been garaged its entire time with me - but they offered only $17,900. I pulled out the WeatherTech mats and replaced them with the unused original carpet mats and the interior looked and smelled "showroom fresh"! I'll be putting the WT set on ebay at some point...

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I am not sure that this is a fact, but I heard that Musk decided that there were 'too many white Teslas' so he changed white from the default color to an optional cost item.

6. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Oh, it's true - same thing when they switched the "free" color from black to white. But it wasn't entirely Elon - lots of people wrote to request the change. BTW - I saw a Model X in the new Midnight Cherry Red color and it's gorgeous!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Goodbye, good luck and godspeed! Maybe you would like to drop by some day to let us know how is your new life with Tesla as compared to the Clarity?

insightman likes this.
  9. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Thank you. I've already logged some 2K miles of Tesla driving so I know that the primary difference between a M3 and a Clarity is size: M3 is a compact and Clarity is a mid-size. The most noticeable differences in driving dynamics is that M3 drives a bit like a 3-series BMW while Clarity drives more like a 1969 Cadillac highway-cruiser.

Tesla's seats are more comfortable, more adjustable and more supportive than Clarity's - but I'll miss the fabric inserts as the M3 upholstery is perforated vinyl.

Most of my driving will still be within 50 miles of home, which is where I'll be charging: I recently traded-out a Siemens 30A EVSE for a Tesla Wall Connector set to 32A (I have a 40A breaker - the TWC can run up to 48A).

The biggest benefit to my life will be that I'll no longer be wasting our planet's precious petroleum resources by burning them.

out with the old 50.jpg

Domenick and Louis Nisenbaum like this.
  10. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Supposedly, Tesla changes the default color from time to time. It wasn't long ago that the Cobalt Blue color was the base.

11. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Actually, the free color in the US was black until 2019 and then white from 2019 until last month, when it switched to Midnight Silver. TTBOMK, blue and red have always been "premium" colors.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Why did you replace the Siemens? Did it fail?

14. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

1. Replaced the Clarity with a Model 3
    2. Siemens was 30A tops, TWC is 32A
    3. Got the TWC NIB for a great price on Ebay
    4. Sold the Siemens on Ebay for more than I paid for it and only $25 less than the price of the TWC
    5. The Siemens had a 14' cable, the TWC has a 24' cable
    6. The Siemens was quite large and resembled a piece of 1940s medical equipment - not that aesthetics were part of the decision - and the TWC is small and handsome

David Towle likes this.
  15. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I personally like that look, good for building your own Frankenstein monster.

Domenick likes this.
  16. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

That's a shocking opinion! ;)

17. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Just passed the 500 mile mark and have been enjoying a great many things about the M3 - most notably (in this beastly weather - it's 11PM right now and the Temp is 85° with a Heat Index of 102°...) the fact that the car will auto-cool the cabin if the interior temp rises above 100° and the ability to use the app to set the temp for preconditioning the cabin (as well as activating the 5 heated seats and steering wheel). The heat pump and fans can be beastly loud but they do cool the car quickly and efficiently! Basic autopilot works significantly better than Honda Sensing at keeping the M3 centered in its lane, even around fairly sharp turns (where Sensing would have shut off). Tesla Vision can be very cautious - especially at night - but that's probably a good thing. I'm also enjoying the added security of automated lane changing (not automatic - it works only after the driver activates the turn signal), traffic light and stop sign detection.

As to the current Tesla "range prediction" debacle, the M3 RWD advertises 274 miles of range and I'm seeing 260 miles at 70 mph with the AC on full-blast. In-town driving (under 35 mph) with lots of stop signs and traffic lights is more like 320 miles of range. Range prediction is not (and never will be) an exact science...

18. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

In your picture, you have 'in with the NACS'. I think this is incorrect, after having watched Alex Dykes' video discussing this topic. From what he said, current Tesla chargers use the J1772 protocol for level 2 charging, and the Chademo (CAN) protocol for DCFC. The NACS standard is going to use J1772 for level 2, but the CCS protocol (PLC - power line connector?) for DCFC.

Many major EV manufacturers have signed on to the NACS standard for upcoming vehicles, so NACS chargers will be seen more and more. But Tesla will have to retrofit their network to support NACS.

Edit: Reading more, I guess you can say your home charger is NACS since it is only level 2, and thus compliant with that portion of the NACS spec.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  19. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I believe that you are conflating information you've received from a video with reality: Both the J1772 and Tesla (NACS) connector have five pins and deliver L1 (110/120 V) and L2 (210/220 V) AC electricity to the vehicle's on-board charger in exactly the same way - 2 pins for power, 1 pin for ground and 2 pins for communication. The only difference is the CONNECTOR, its pin configuration and its digital "handshake" communication. My post is about home L2 AC charging: I switched from a Siemens EVSE with a J1772 connector to a Tesla EVSE with a Tesla (NACS) connector.

To deliver DC power directly to a vehicle, the Combined Charging Standard (CCS1) adds two additional power pins beneath a J1772 connector while the Tesla connector uses the same two pins to deliver DC that it uses to deliver AC. How Tesla and non-Tesla vehicles communicate with DCFC dispensers is irrelevant to my post but - with appropriate communications software and port adapters - either type of system can deliver DC electricity to either type of vehicle.

turtleturtle likes this.
  20. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thanks for the update! Two days ago I rode for the first time at the co-pilot seat of a Model 3 on an Uber ride and got mesmerized by the interface, the safety quirks, the cabin and the ride. However, I still wouldn't feel comfortable taking it to the long trips I have to do now and then between LV and Phoenix, knowing I'd be at the mercy of charger availability, and they don't precisely abound along the route I must take. As a side note, two weeks ago I saw a Tesla stalled along that highway 93 on the desert between Vegas and Phoenix, where the Joshua Tree grows. Later I was told it appeared on the Phoenix local news that the excessive heat provoked all that car systems to shut down, leaving the driver stranded in the desert for half an hour at 115F until help arrived... On the other hand, yesterday it appeared on the local news in Vegas that a multiple collision was triggered by a Tesla driven by a drunk/drugged driver rear-ending a big SUV. This demonstrated that even the best Artificial Intelligence technology can't beat Natural Stupidity... If there is such a thing as Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't it be Artificial Stupidity too?

insightman likes this.
  21. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

BTW, I told the Tesla Uber driver about my Honda Clarity. He never heard of it before, but that's another (well known) story about an "unknown" car... But he got pretty excited when I told him about my City EV/highway HV driving ...

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

One of many quotes about fools defeating foolproof (but I'm a Douglas Adams fan):
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools” -- Douglas Adams

23. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

You do realize, don't you, that Tesla's navigation system tells you where, when and how long to charge while traveling? I just checked the drive from LV to Phoenix and it showed two potential routes. Remembering that I drive the shortest-range M3 (270 miles), the quickest route required a 13 minute stop at the Supercharger in Kingman and a 6 minute stop in Wickenburg. The longer route called for a 7 minute stop in Needles and a 23 minute stop in Quartzite. Tesla's Supercharger network is the primary reason to consider driving their vehicles long distances. My state has 14 Supercharger sites yet only 2 Electrify America locations (and six independent double or single-dispenser CCS locations): In any EV except a Tesla I could not get beyond my state's borders to the east or west with enough charge to reach a CCS charging location.

As to EVs in the news, remember that there's a LOT of money out there to promote EV "tales of woe": If there was ONE overheated Tesla at Joshua Tree, there were probably DOZENS of overheated ICE vehicles - but THEY aren't considered newsworthy. Not a week goes by that there's not a story about a burning EV yet - statistically - there are fewer than 11 EV fires per month around the WORLD yet - in the US alone - there are 114 ICE vehicle fires every DAY!