Is the refrigerator light still on when the door is closed?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Geezer, Jun 29, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geezer

Geezer New Member

There are jokes about the refrigerator light, but now I have a similar question about the light in my 2022 I-5's frunk. Looking at it yesterday, i couldn't locate any kind of switch that turns it off, and I wondered if it's on 24/7. So I put my phone in there it's camera on video and shut the cover. The light stayed on. I wonder if it's on all the time and slowly draining the 12 volt battery. Maybe that tiny bulb doesn't draw enough power to make a difference, so I'm asking the community here what you think.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The triumph of the bean-counters. "We saved $2 on the switch, $0.50 on the wiring, $0.78 on the installation, and an estimated $10,000/year in potential warranty repair costs to replace that cheap $2 switch when it breaks."

4. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

How long did you leave the phone in there? The cabin courtesy lights can take a while to dim after closing the door, maybe it's the same for the frunk light?

5. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Good question/point. Only about twenty seconds. I guess I'll have to try it for a bit longer and see. thanks.

6. Geezer

Geezer New Member

jimct, the light DOES go out, but it's because of a switch for the hood, not the frunk lid. My previous investigation entailed only closing the frunk lid, and the light stayed on. This time I also closed the hood, and that immediately shut off the light. Mystery solved thanks to you!

I couldn't locate the switch in the hood area, but I wasn't about to start removing covers, etc., just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks for putting me on the right path.

Jimct and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.