So long Little Buddy!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by EVatLast, Jun 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Like a few others we to have let go of our much loved MY19 Kona Ultimate, traded in for the AWD IONIQ 5. The Kona has been a great little car but we've been wanting AWD and when the opportunity to get an I5 came up we jumped on it. Trade values have gone down around here so we were okay with $35k on the trade.
    We now have a 2023 IONIQ 5 AWD Luxury, atlas white with the teal/gray interior and we really like the colour combo. So now a new adventure begins.

upload_2023-6-23_10-19-12.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Quite a step up, nice. AWD will come in handy on occasion particularly if you travel in winter conditions frequently.
    I got stuck in Nanoose for the first time earlier this year during a "freak snowstorm" (thanks climate change), snow was 12" and deeper at slightly higher elevations.
    Trade $ was pretty fair as well.
    Enjoy :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    EVatLast likes this.
  4. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Congrats on the I5, we've had our AWD over a year now and absolutely love the car, I know you will too.
    Tell you what, though--We held on to our Kona, and glad we did. The I5 being a such nice looking car is also obviously a modernistic EV, and in my area of the state which is very pro Trump and anti-EV it's a vandalism magnet. Flattened tires, keyed hood, coal rolled, etc. The Kona looks more like an average small car so it's our choice for shopping centers and other questionable areas where it won't draw attention. The I5 is roomier and a delight to drive but we pick and choose our destinations pretty carefully. Hopefully not an issue for you.

KiwiME likes this.
  5. Thanks electricdaddy. We have quite the steep and long driveway so AWD is definitely the way to go for us.

That's terrible. Kinda sucking some joy out of your adventures with the i5 no doubt.

Vandalism has not been an issue here. So far we're really loving the i5. The extra room and refinement is great. Just have to get used to the extra size again!

Jimct likes this.
  6. glasseye

glasseye New Member

Is it notably quieter than your Kona?

The Kootenays want to know. :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Very sad! happens here in Oz too. Early days of Prius I was spat at, sworn at, cut off dangerously on the freeway and bull bar swiped in a car park. Caught him and he had to pay from his pocket as insurance wouldn't support him. The Kona has had a couple of minor scrapes in car parks too.

9. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

We toured your country & NZ a few years ago, best trip of our lives. I had to look up "Oz", though, interestingly we never heard the locals use it. I also asked the guide if he knew what a "fried-out Kombi" was and he said he didn't have a clue, lol.
    Glad you caught the swiper, hopefully no more problems with the Kona.

10. We use Oz occasionally in an ironic sense and our Kombis were probably clapped out. We also had shaggin wagons (panel vans, not sure what the US equivalent was) for surfing and camping.
    Glad you enjoyed your trip. The Kona is fine except for some shallow scratches at low bumper level. Thank you.

11. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

"Woodies"
    upload_2023-6-25_5-40-33.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Wow, nice! More up market than we were mostly used to.

Shaggin’ Wagons were decorated with murals along the sides, sometimes painted with intricate details. They had other nicknames too such as sin bins and mobile virgin conversion units.

Shaggin Wagon.jpg

14. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

That is funny! Reminds me of "If the trailer's rockin' don't come knockin'" (Billy Joe Shaver).

Ferenc Jakab likes this.
  15. Good morning Kootenays :)

It is way quieter than the Kona. We had The Michelin Cross Climate All weather tires on Kona. The i5 ride quality, even with the 20" wheels, is very comfortable. Where the Kona felt choppy over bumps this thing rides the bumps smoothly. Exactly what we were looking for in ride quality.

Are you in the east or west Kootenays?

16. glasseye

glasseye New Member

I wanted the I5, but delivery is at least a year out, said the dealer, and I'm too old to wait. They had a Kona for me within a month.

Impressed that you find it way quieter than the Kona. I was delighted with the Kona's road manners.

Since I value low NVH and AWD over nearly everything else, I'm wait-listed for the Ioniq 5. It is a gorgeous piece of work.

Creston. Spent my entire life in the Lower Mainland. Retired here in 2000.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Noise: I will admit Kona EV is not the quietest ride. Depends on tire choice, some are better than others. Lots of posts related to this (search)
    Here is one where a member took noise reduction to the limits;)
    Vibration and harshness have not been reported as any issues.
    That is something not in the books even with the updated 2024 MY.
    I think Kona EV will be a great car for you to drive in the interim, of course when your I5 finally arrives it will be a much improved (AWD included).