False "Charging socket flap open" message; windshield replacement

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Teddydogno1, Feb 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Washed mine today before taking it in to the body shop in the morning — kinda like gargling with mouthwash before a dental checkup — and I found all sorts of rash on my bonnet and bumper. I was hoping this repair would take place a little later in the spring, because I’ll need to wait at least a month before getting a PPF on the front end, and it’s very likely the crap on the roads will pepper me like buckshot again before I can get it protected. Damn.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I just got one on my commute a couple days ago, and it sucked because I saw the incoming rock but couldn't avoid it. It's just a surface scratch, not an actual ding, but it's just to the right of where I look at the HUD. Blah.

4. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I had looked up the price of the windshield before calling shops and found the OEM glass was about $340. Wasn't sure if the glass shop was upcharging it, or if I had found the wrong part. If I was paying, yeah, I would complain about the markup. But I presume the insurance (Safelite handles the glass claims for USAA) is aware of costs and will take care of paying or negotiating it.

Rob

SameGuy likes this.
  5. Teddydogno1

Update (of a sort) on the Charging socket door issue.

My wife reported that the false message for the "charging socket flap open" just started getting worse. She says it is now saying this during drives and beeping when it shows this. Previously it was only setting in the info display at startup and would stay off when dismissed (though the message on the small driver's display would return every minute or so once dismissed). So I have an appointment tomorrow to take it in to have it checked. They are giving me a loaner of some sort and probably won't actually work on the car until Monday.

Will report back once they have looked at it.

rob

6. Outagas

Outagas Member

Our 2021 started throwing the socket flap error. Bad sensor to be replaced under warranty sez the dealer. Took a month or so to get the part from Germany tho. ~45K km.

re windshield- ours mysteriously looks like that of a much older car - it’s well sand blasted. Got an actual rock chip recently so tried the DIY syringe filler without much success. I wonder if the rather vertical design catches more road grit than a more swoopy profile might.

I asked if I could have the bad part to see what it looked like and perhaps figure out how to fix the issue if the next part craps out too but alas, warranty replaced parts can’t be given to the customer they told me.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ghost

ghost Active Member

Just got my car back from the same charging flap error. It took 5 months for the part to come in. Not sure I believe them bc I finally called in a Friday after 5 months, and then they said it'll be in next Monday. Took just a day to replace.

Outagas likes this.
  9. Lokie

Lokie New Member

I’m replacing my windshield too. My insurance also uses Safelite. The total cost of the replacement is $605 which includes any adjustment that’s required.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Outagas

Outagas Member

Now the question..is the replacement any better or will that fail in time too…?

11. ghost

ghost Active Member

It's shiny and new now. The previous one lasted a little over a year.

And I also have a windshield chip that needs some resin before it grows.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Well, it seems I've now started with the charging flap error. 2023 purchased June 4th of 2022.

I live 3 hours from the dealer I purchased from, and 2 hours from the closest (120 miles and zero charging between). I knew this going into the purchase, but am kicking myself a bit now. Hopefully I can persuade one of them to get the part ordered before I setup a service visit (which will be a PITA unfortunately).

14. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

What's the part number? Interested to see what all needs replacing, how much the part(s) cost, and whether it could be a DIY job.

insightman likes this.
  15. Teddydogno1

Dropped my car off today and remembered the chrome bubbling up on the headlight trim rings. Gonna get that taken car of.

They also said there was a "recall" of some sort that involved a software update. Since there are no actual recalls, I called back and asked for more info. She said she didn't have much info on what it does, but it has a number: M840322. Was a little hard to understand her, but it sounded like she said it was an update for "telecommatics". Infotainment update maybe?

Got a loaner car. A 2023 Clubman ALL4. Slower than my SE.

Rob

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  16. Puppethead

Is it the 3G sunset update?

17. Teddydogno1

Seems so. I found another thread here that mentioned it by the same code number and had the "3G sunset" in the description.

I also just asked about the 12v battery box cover that was also mentioned in that thread and they say it doesn't show up applicable to my MINI. Maybe it was found and corrected before mine left the factory (October 2021 build) or a different combination of parts.

They did that and the headlight trim rings and are waiting for the part for the charging socket flap sensor. Apparently it is a single unit for the entire socket surround, not just the plunger or separate sensor. Told me they have to replace the whole surround, including applying a new sticker with the status light info! They said 2 - 3 days for the part, so I'm having them keep it rather than do an extra round trip.

Rob

18. Puppethead

I asked my dealer about that and the service advisor said the 12 V battery cover only applies to certain 2022 models.

19. ghost

ghost Active Member

PXL_20230612_193557068.MP.jpg

fishbert likes this.
  20. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Interesting that it mentions removing and replacing the "charging door" - I'm going to assume they didn't actually replace the door/flap, right? Since the part going bad is the plunger which isn't in the door.

21. Puppethead

22. ghost

ghost Active Member

There's a black plastic part that holds the color matched flap. That's what they replaced along w the magnetic push latch (don't know what it's called).

23. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

51-91-7-496-249 is the color-matched flap, so your paperwork says they replaced that as well.

ghost likes this.