Gear Reduction Oil Change

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JumpingIntoEV, Jun 2, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JumpingIntoEV

JumpingIntoEV New Member

I waited 6 weeks for my appointment to have the gear reduction oil changed, which is recommended by Hyundai here at 75,000 miles. I brought my 2019 Kona Electric into the dealer I bought it from this morning, and waited. Two hours later the service writer told me that I would need to make another appointment as they have never change gear reduction oil, and the dealership parts dept did not carry the oil. When I made the appointment I it was specifically for that service, so it was very frustrating to get there, wait 2 hours and then be told to come back in a month or so. I reached out to a second local dealer to do the service, but they have never done it, either, and needed to order the needed oil. Has anyone else experienced this? I get the impression that dealers know next to nothing about the car and get no training from Hyundai.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Changing the gear oil is as easy as changing the oil on a lawnmower so perhaps Hyundai thought no further training was needed? If you spend a bit of time on the numerous Kona EV forums you'll see that reports like this are not uncommon, especially for US owners. Perhaps it could be that the N.A. importer has poor quality control over dealer training or the dealers are struggling to make ends meet in a highly competitive market where buyers pit them against each other then expect stellar service?

My Hyundai importer in NZ seems to require high standards from dealers and new-car prices are not normally negotiable so margins are healthy and the standard of service reflects that.

4. The last time I had it changed, the dealership actually started to stock the Hyundai branded fluid as more owners were coming in to have the service done. (probably due to the many posts ion this topic starting in this thread) thanks mostly to our Kona EV forum GRU Guru @KiwiME ;)
    If the service techs need guidance, show then this video starting @ 1:48 ...https://streamable.com/6320yp
    It is better to order the parts ahead of time (2-3 weeks before appointment) and don't forget to charge the 12V battery for a couple of hours using utility mode.
    I pre-made my own kit first.... here are the Hyundai part#s
    [​IMG]
    Finally the $ charge seems to be averaging @ 1 hr shop labor, less (.5 hr) if you bring it in when the annual service is performed.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    KonaAU, 22kona and KiwiME like this.
  5. JumpingIntoEV

JumpingIntoEV New Member

Thanks for the great advice. The dealer mentioned that my Kona has more miles on it than any they have serviced as the reason they have no experience with changing the oil. But it is certainly not rocket science. Though even when buying the car, the dealers seemed to know not to nothing about it. That is pure laziness. Know the product you sell. Their estimate for the simple service was $250.00. Crazy.

22kona likes this.
  6. If you find an independent shop that is familiar with servicing the Nissan Leaf, the job is nearly identical. That workaround is now being used here.

KonaAU and 22kona like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, some combination of unfamiliarity with the product and plain incompetence seems to be common among Hyundai dealers. While I don't have enough miles yet to need this particular service, I had an experience with a minor problem a couple months ago that ended up taking 4 visits to fix -- wrong parts ordered, repair not done right when they finally got the part. It did not exactly build my faith in my local Hyundai dealer.

9. MurrayNZ

MurrayNZ New Member

I had the gearbox oil changed at the last service at 45000km & got a sample of it. The oil cost $145/litre & about the same in labour. After using a magnet on the sample I can confirm a small amount of metal but such a small amount you could leave it. Hyundai said this was the first time they had ever done this.

10. Loc Quan

Loc Quan New Member

In case anyone want change the gear reduction oil at home, here is the oil I used

Red Line Synthetic MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil
    https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w
    You only need to buy one quart ($25)

I changed mine at 10,000 miles, 30,000 miles, 60,000 miles.

I would not recommend using whatever oil from Hyundai as they are probably not synthetic. Back in my 20s, when I was hot-rodding my Celica, Red Line and Amsoil are the 2 brands we trusted the most. Mobile 1 are consumer grade.

It is best to change all oil/fluid in any new car as early as possible during break-in. Don't wait until the mileage specified in the manual. With new engine/gearbox/power steering/transaxle/etc., they always come with flashes and burs from manufacturing. You want to remove those as soon possible. After the first oil/fluid change during break-in, you can stick with the schedule in the manual.

11. No need to guess.
    upload_2023-6-14_8-13-8.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2023-6-13_20-24-3.png

(just a little joke)

Lars and OzKona like this.
  14. It's happened here.
    upload_2023-6-14_16-42-5.png

15. Are we being hosed? My dealer told me not to worry about changing the reduction gear oil until recommended. See quote here:
    "Your vehicle takes 1.0-1.1 litres of SAE70W gear oil and the recommended interval is to inspect every 112,000kms
    We do charge C$55/per litre and C$39.95 to replace.

As for the Magnetic drain plug, after looking into it for you, Hyundai does not supply them so unfortunately I am unable to get one on order for you.

Thanks
    Maddy
    Service appointment coordinator"

My 2021 Kona is at 51,000+ km. I will have this oil replaced at the 60K service. I have already purchased from Hyundai (special order two in a pack?) magnetic plug(s:) ).

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Don't forget the 2 replacement crush washers part#45323-39000 (Hyundia refers them as "gaskets")

Lars likes this.
  17. Holy cow, do we have to do everything! :eek: Do we need two magnetic plugs? Is that the reason they are packaged in twos?? The parts guy told me they come in twos. And two washers?? I know where I put one pack, I must find the second one. :oops:

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Did you happen to check that the Hyundai 'magnetic' plugs are indeed magnetic?

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  19. My brown bag GRU Kit:
    [​IMG]
    The "magnetic" plugs (which of course are NOT), I installed (2) stacked 3/4" Neodymium magnets purchased elsewhere and JB Welded them c/w paint finish, before taking it in for replacement. Dealer labor cost .5 hr ($79.95) for the change. It is cheaper to have it done while in for regular maintenance service as the lift time is accounted for;)

20. WHAT??? It says 'Magnetic plug" on the package.

21. Perhap they're "on clearance".
    Hyundai 00810-17121.jpg

22. I remember someone mentioning the new ones are different...hollow heads, harder to install external magnets, or the requirement of smaller less powerful ones to fit. Which is why I requested my old ones back, so they can be modified with new 3/4" magnets and crush washers in preparation for the next time the oil is due for replacement (just in case)

Lars likes this.
  23. Need more info. Crush washers? Picture would be nice. As the saga goes on, I checked the "Plug-Magnets" I received. Guess what, they are NOT magnetic! Will not pick up a paper clip! :mad: I have shown this missing magnetic action to my dealer they said - hmmm. Return them. The problem is that I bought these at an other dealer. I will take them back to there. But returning them will not solve the issue does it?

The experiment - How magnetic is this?
    Hyundai part, real magnet and a paper clip
    PLUG-MAGNET.jpg

I will keep you posted.

Sandor Belenfant likes this.