New Generation Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

I do it myself in my Kona. Sometimes I just use brake pedal to stop instead of left paddle.

Kirk likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's a good idea. The brake-disc rusting problem is partially my fault--the Clarity PHEV sits undriven in the garage for long periods of time because my MINI Cooper SE is so much more fun to drive. If I would just drive the Clarity more often, your technique would keep the rotors rust-free.

4. My understanding is the brake pedal uses regenerative braking until almost stopped. So not much different than using the paddle. I clean the discs occasionally on a downhill by putting it in neutral and then using the brakes - no regen in neutral.

Vince08, Kirk, insightman and 2 others like this.
  5. My method just involves zipping up to about 45 mph and hitting the brakes hard enough that it needs employs the physical brakes along with the regen. I've only had to do this once (and I drive a Model 3, not a Kona). Neutral on a slight hill is probably safer.

6. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The other issue in Canada (and northern US) is seizing of the calipers with the road salt. My local Hyundai dealer was saying they don't 1 pedal regen in the winter to their customers of EV's.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Did I miss it or is there any North American rating for range on the new Kona?

I'm fine with the nominal 420km on my 2021 Kona, except when I need to drive into Saskatchewan.

9. That's correct, the paddle avoids the disk completely down to a stop, as does 1-pedal in a Tesla.
    As best as I've determined from Tesla Owners Club forum members pressing the brake pedal in a Model 3/Y always uses the disks anyway, so even gentle foot braking should be effective at removing rust.

10. I tried braking normally, but the sound didn't really go away until I tried it with more force than I would generally use.

(but enough about me and my dumb car, this is a Kona EV thread :D)

KiwiME likes this.
  11. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

I do it hard enough to use hydraulics to press brake pads to discs. And long enough to polish all the rust, so discs are rust-free.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I posted this on another site regarding the changes in the 2023+ Niro EV battery. It's applicable to this thread because I believe the battery will the same or very similar on the 2024+ kona EV.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    glasseye, Jim Matthews, Kirk and 3 others like this.
  14. Quite a change from previous version. I like the fact the cell modules are low profile and the use of aluminum for construction which should improve cooling of the cells. The pack also appears a bit easier to service (ie module replacement if required).

Kirk, 22kona and KiwiME like this.
  15. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

This thread has been entirely missing the fact that moving to Neutral disables regen, so all braking in that
    state is 100% hydraulic. So no need to slam the brakes, and in fact hard stabs at the pedal instead of
    smooth, gentle application is more likely to warp rotors and such. I use the Neutral trick down the first
    small downhill going out of my neighborhood, seems to keep the rear end much quieter for the rest
    of the drive.

_H*

Ferenc Jakab, OzKona and Domenick like this.
  16. What is Neutral in a Kona EV? AFAIK there is no provision for mechanical disconnect between the motor and the drive train. So is it just the application of electronics to the motor so that there is neither drive nor drag?

17. It appears certain that the motor is permanently wired to the inverter. I expect the inverter is powered-up (with 12V) but disabled from applying current to the motor windings.
    A useful test would be to compare the power draw (in the Electricity Usage menu) between Level 0 coasting and Neutral at some moderate speed like 50 km/h. We already know it regens about 2kW in Level 0 but is that zero in N?

OzKona likes this.
  18. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Neutral in just about any EV or hybrid drivetrain means simply "don't control the motors at all". No
    current in or out. Well, except perhaps for a bit of deliberate field-weakening at high speed to
    avoid overvoltage, but that's a deep subtlety that for this discussion we can ignore.

So yes, zero in N. You can see that in the "electricity use" screen or whatever that is.

_H*

electriceddy and OzKona like this.
  19. Tried it today and yes 0 kW is displayed in the Drivetrain Instant category when cruising in "N".

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    KiwiME likes this.
  20. Regarding control of the inverter I'm only seeing drive-mode-related input from the buttons where I see that there is a single analog communication line (which I understand to be resistive like typical steering wheel buttons) in addition to CAN, no doubt for redundancy.

Meanwhile, I'm seeing info from an owner of the 2nd Gen Niro EV describing an improvement where it's being suggested that the 12V battery can request a charge off the traction battery as required, either immediately or within a short time period. If present on the new Kona (and surely it would be) that would presumably eliminate most 12V battery issues.

This should perform as well as Tesla's 16V LFE auxiliary battery that does this using its internal BMS and LIN data connection to the car. Their LFE has the same approximate capacity as a lead-acid so evidently increased capacity wasn't deemed necessary. I'll add as a note that engaging the parking cam feature brings the traction battery online for the entire duration.

Using the lead-acid intelligent battery monitor we already have (located on the battery negative post) it was only a matter of designing a way for that to wake up the car via its existing LIN communication wire.

So far the only complaints I'm seeing concerning the new Niro (other than the 'piano black' surfaces) is that there is some perception of reduced efficiency.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Ferenc Jakab and 22kona like this.
  21. Do you suppose the newer version plainly weighs more?

22. Weight specs have not yet been released for 24 Kona EV, however w/19" wheels less efficiency may be expected.
    In this review a respectable 192 wH/km was achieved driving in sport mode, at hwy speeds with a/c on (not a huge difference to the existing model).

23. Determining that was only matter of an internet search but by all accounts the 2023+ is 120 lbs lighter.

Standardised tests indicate energy consumption is less than the old model and I'm more inclined to believe measured data rather than owner impressions.
    https://insideevs.com/news/658026/2023-kia-niro-ev-epa-range-price/

eastpole and Jim Matthews like this.