Portable Battery Station. Anyone have one or an Idea on one?

Discussion in 'General' started by Benjamin Plackemeier, May 11, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. IVe been up and down the internet in regard to a portable station. (Call it electrons in a jerry can) I cant seem to get a definitive answer if some are meant for EVs. Anyone have anything? BESIDES A GAS GENTERATOR.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A portable battery that would fully charge your EV would have to weigh as much or more than your EV's battery. A portable battery that you can actually lift will be able to add just a few miles of range.

4. Yes this is what Im thinking of. Not for a full charge NO, but as a back up to the next station. Thanks.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Or enough to reach the nearest 110-120 VAC, 12 A outlet.

Bob Wilson

insightman likes this.
  6. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

This was a great video. Satisfied my curiosity and pretty clear this is a waste of money and weight unless 4 miles is somehow life or death.

insightman and bwilson4web like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. There are a few portable battery systems out there, but they're kind of bulky and heavy. There may be more, but here are the ones I'm aware of: the SparkCharge Roadie, the EcoFlow Delta Max, ZipCharge, and the Zendure SuperBase V.

turtleturtle likes this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When will someone come up with a hydrogen fuel cell portable charger? :D

miatadan, turtleturtle and Domenick like this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've always wondered how large a balloon it would take to contain the amount of hydrogen packed into a heavy, triple-reinforced hydrogen storage tank found in a car?

On one hand, the big balloon would make the portable generator easier to carry. On the other hand, a reinforced tank might make the portable fuel-cell charger too heavy to carry, but it would eliminate any worries about overhead power lines.

I'll try to do the math: The 141 liters of hydrogen a 2021 Toyota Mirai stores in its three triple-layer carbon fiber-reinforced plastic tanks (totaling 193 lbs) provides a range of 400 miles. Its fuel-cell stack generates 128 kW. If the Mirai's 400 miles of range occurs at 60 mph, then the 141 liters of hydrogen produces 128 kW for 6.7 hours.

If my googled resources were correct, a 30-cm (11.8-inch) balloon can hold 14.1 liters of hydrogen, so it would take 10 30-cm balloons to generate 128 kW for 6.7 hours. Those 10 balloons would help hoist the 60-lb Mirai fuel-cell stack, but what a pain to untie each balloon and feed it to the fuel-cell stack while trying hard to avoid losing any hydrogen in the process. Then, when the balloons are empty, the fuel-cell charger would be much heavier.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  11. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

That's 131litres at 10,000psi.
    You're going to need a bigger balloon.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Idle speculation, I've thought about an aluminum-air, primary battery. Feed it aluminum soda cans and later recycle the aluminum oxide at an aluminum refinery. Per Wiki, it has a 1,300 Wh/kg which is about 5x of LiON batteries.

Bob Wilson

14. I've seen aluminum-based batteries pop up over the years, usually with lots of hype and attention, then they are never heard from again. I believe the energy required in recycling takes them off the table for serious consideration, but it could be another issue. If they could achieve 1,300 Wh/kg in the real world, though, I think they'd be much better for this sort of application.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. pictsidhe

[​IMG]

Isn't it obvious?

Fastnf likes this.
  16. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I messed with this; my 1 kWh Yeti packs come into play about halfway down. The Yetis have a
    couple of issues around rapid recharging and technical support, but their inverters are quite solid.

_H*

17. Marty V

Marty V New Member

Carry a nylon strap and tow charge? those folks still driving on gas can be good for something...

18. pictsidhe

I've been meaning to try this. I am pretty sure that any EV with regenerative braking will tow charge if not completely dead. As far as the car knows, it is rolling downhill.