Toyota's upcoming Hybrids will make you FORGET about EVs...

Discussion in 'General' started by R P, May 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Very interesting vid, not just about Toyota, but automotive news and trends in general. A lot of stats, to help keep perspective about where we came from and where we are going. Still a long road to complete electrification. And explains more some of the challenges of EV makers like Nissan.

Some interesting tidbits I picked up. Eg, sedans making a big comeback, esp in 2023, GM dropping Carplay (but not Android Auto), and more.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is for the 2012-2013 model year or a future model year?

The reason I ask is we can do a comparative drag force analysis using the EPA roll down coefficients and see if a particular Prius Prime might make me forget the pain of our former 2017 Prius Prime cured by our current 2019 Tesla Model 3.

Bob Wilson

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Toyota is all talk and no action. Not a single Toyota Prime or EV on either of the local Toyota dealer's lots.

5. Did you even watch the vid? It is not all about Toyota.

6. marshall

Over 3 minutes of it was.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, your comments sure didn't seem to reflect what the vid was all about. Toyota has really not changed their position re EVs very much. Yes, they will develop/produce more BEVs now, as they start to become more mainstream. But they will also continue to produce PHEVs for a longer time to come. And with 120 miles range, those vehicles will be a very attractive EV entry point for those who aren't convinced that BEVs are the only way to go at this time. I don't think that is a bad thing, certainly better than just buying another pure ICE car.

Myself, in 2019 jumped from a Prius straight to a Kona BEV. Still had one ICE car for towing and off-road (2018 Crosstrek). Sold the Kona last year and bought a Solterra for its off-road capabilities (need for going to our cabin). And now looking to buy an Ioniq 6 which will be our trip car. At that time will pass down our Crosstrek to our son. Then we will be completely ICE-less. We need two cars anyway, and with their complementary capabilities the Solterra and Ioniq 6 will meet all our needs for some time to come.

But I also know that I am the exception (not necessarily in this forum) among the general population, and I think Toyota recognizes that reality. They didn't become the world's largest auto maker without understanding their customers and what they want to buy. And while they may be conservative with bringing forward new innovation, you can't deny their continued emphasis and success with quality and reliability.

Back to the vid, what I found most interesting, though, is all the stats and comments about the other manufacturers and their prospects going forward. The next few years will be very interesting indeed, not just about what will happen, but will not.

9. marshall

Toyota can talk all they want, but until I see the cars on the dealer's lots for sale, it's just more talk.

Anyhow PHEVs just are not that popular in Washington state.

https://data.wa.gov/Demographics/Most-Common-New-Electric-Vehicles-by-Model/yu7n-qgtd

10. Again, this vid is not just about Toyota, but the industry in general and trends going forward. And WA state is not the world, nor is BC.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyota-defends-title-worlds-top-selling-automaker-2022-2023-01-30/
    You seem to have a real hate on for Toyota, not sure why. They are still the most successful auto maker out there. Their emphasis on quality and reliability is without question. And they sell the most PHEVs. While Elon Musk got us where we are with BEVs, it was really Toyota that got the EV revolution going with the Prius, and it is still going strong.

Like I said I am a BEV guy, going completely ICE-less as soon as I get my Ioniq 6. But I know most people are not ready for that and will be looking to buy a PHEV for their first EV. So I do have a lot of respect for Toyota, incl their market savy, not just in the past but going forward.

11. peterlhansen

peterlhansen New Member

Actually, GM says their future EVs will support the Androids Automotive OS, and not CarPlay or Android Auto "mirroring". Many auto makers plan to use Android Automotive, but most will continue to support CarPlay and Android Auto where the brains are in our phones where they belong. Instead, GM wants to create a parallel universe to our phones with yet another App Store and limited choice so that they can make more money and get behavioral data from us. As Jim Farley has stated, car makers lost the Infotainment battle 10 years ago. They need to concentrate on auto functions such as ADAS rather than competing with Apple and the myriad of phone App developers.

12. To remove this ad click here.

14. To add fuel to the fire, Toyota just published another document aimed at their dealers that includes these statements.
    https://insideevs.com/news/668040/toyota-will-sell-hybrids-even-if-fully-commited-to-electrification/
    The maker of the Prius and bZ4x mentions the so-called 1:6:90 rule:
    “The amount of raw materials in one long-range battery electric vehicle could instead be used to make six plug-in hybrid electric vehicles or 90 hybrid electric vehicles,” reads the dealer document published by Jalopnik.
    In addition, Toyota states that the overall carbon reduction of those 90 hybrids over their lifetime is 37 times as much as a single battery electric vehicle.