Central jacking point?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Apr 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

Both of my rear pinch welds where you're supposed to jack the car have bent when I used my floor jack.

My front are fine for now.

I looked under the car and at the rear I see the suspension arm is not covered by any plastic parts. The middle of the rear suspension arm is flat. Can the car be jacked from this point?

On my RAV4 Prime there's a front and a rear jacking point where you jack both wheels at the same time.

I'm surprised there's nothing similar on the Kona. Also surprised that jacking from the official spot results in a bent pinch weld

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I had the same issue when I got my spare. Used a floor jack and bent the welds just like you... so I hammered them straight and painted them (good as new).
    Went to the auto wreckers and picked up one like this for about $25 which works just fine, without bending the pinch welds. They came out of a full size Hyundai ICE SUV.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. I lift mine with a floor jack placed under the spring seat on the rear suspension arms. It's the ideal place. I use a hard rubber block or thick plywood spacer to minimise paint damage to the arm (rust in mind).

5. Dug up a PDF from Hyundai regarding procedures for emergency responders that shows jacking points for scissors jacks.

Attached Files:

Keith Dowey, JoeS and John Lumsden like this.
  6. NRH

NRH Active Member

A rubber hockey puck on top of your rolling floor jack works great for protecting jack points.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puckey hocks melt in Aus. :)

9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I have an old Nissan scissor jack whose top fork is a little too short to bridge the pinch weld, and an
    actual Hyundai jack that I think can straddle the weld flange but not put weight on it. But I don't bother
    anymore, because there's plenty of "meat" just inboard of the weld flange so that's where I lift with
    either of them. Now, that might not work with a typical hydraulic floor jack's end cradle, but a slotted
    puck made from material that *doesn't* melt would be the right answer.

I don't really like floor jacks because as the arm goes up, it tends to pull the car sideways. The rollers
    are no guarantee that it will successfully compensate for that.

_H*