Plug-in charging system problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Eva Farkas, Mar 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kobezklutch

kobezklutch New Member

Having this same issue with my workplace, 240V, charger. Prematurely stops charging and I get a notification through Honda Link. Have to restart multiple times through the app to get it to start, but usually stops again shortly after. After around 5-6 tries, will usually stay charging until complete. Just got the rapidly blinking green light a few times and gave up trying for half an hour, clicked charge from the app and its been ok since.

Extremely annoying/frustrating issue, regretting this lease already as my car is Electric only. I have opened a case as suggested in this thread, hopefully we get a fix soon. I've used this same charger with my old Chevy Volt for 3 years with zero issues. Other EV drivers also report no issues

ChargePoint likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AGarg

AGarg New Member

Got the Plug-In Charging System Problem, Range Limited error today. Have been charging at the same ChargePoint station at work for over 2 months but never received this error before. Only difference today was that it was raining. Will give it some time and see if the error goes away. Car @ ~2000 miles.

ChargePoint likes this.
  4. Keep us posted! I'm still keeping track of unique issues like yours, although our team is working to resolve the charging issue others are experiencing in this thread and others. Details to contact our team can be found up thread, if you find that you're still receiving an error later today. :)

Thank you! We appreciate your encouragement, support, and the feedback we're getting here from you and others is incredibly valuable!

5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

My new thing is trouble on some stations if I try to remote climate. I’ve also run into this error at a hospital in my home town at all three evse stations (two Eaton one Schneider electric).

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does trying to activate the climate control system halt the charging? Or does the climate control system not start up when you ask it to? Does the problem occur using the key fob, the HondaLink app or both? Does the app indicate the climate control system is active? Does the problem occur both when the car is charging and when charging is complete? You say "some stations," so does that mean that other stations never exhibit the problem?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. why

why New Member

I have problems using the GE charging system. I have used them for a few times with no problem. But recently, it did not charge at all and it cannot detect the charger at all. However, I noticed Tesla can use those stations with no problem at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Response inline

10. Clarity Owner

Clarity Owner New Member

My 2018 Clarity plugin had the same issue with a L2 charger at work. It was also engine code P03D3D. I tried a couple different L2 chargers, but it would not charge. I drove it home with the check engine light on. The next morning the check engine light was off. I drove it to work and it charged fine on the same charger it had a error on the previous day.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Not to deny the seriousness of those w real charging problems but hopefully a little levity will help with the frustration level:
    I had my first charging problem today when I had a sidewalk and driveway apron replaced. Now I can’t get to my Level 2 charger in garage for 5 days until the concrete sets. I may have to enter the dreaded HV zone before this is over. “Oh the humanity!”
    Disclosure: When I say trouble free; I’ve only used 2 public chargers.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tready

Tready New Member

I have had my Clarity PHEV one week and am having the same problem with interrupted charging at a Chargepoint spot. I have charged 4 times. Level 1 charger that came with the car worked fine on first charge. Second charge was a successful Level 2 charge. On the third charge two days later at a Chargepoint Level 2, it worked fine, but I had to leave before fully charging. I am having trouble completing the charge (4th charging experience) at a different Chargepoint location at my work. Same interruption problem reported by everyone else. After several interruptions, it finally stopped and showed it was fully charged on my Honda Link app. However, when I started the car, the check engine light was on, along with the message, "Plug in charger system problem, Range Limited." Solutions???

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  14. Is the problem with Chargepoint happening with all plug-in Clarity's? Or is it just some Clarity's? Are there problems with other chargers besides Chargepoint?

15. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

So far for me no issues on ChargePoint at home, public Aerovironment, or public ClipperCreak, or OEM Level 1 with almost 3,000 miles of EV.

16. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I’ve personally never had this specific issue on any chargepoints but had trouble on some Eaton and Schneider stations. I have had different issues on a few chargepoints.

17. Tready

Tready New Member

18. Tready

Tready New Member

Update on chargepoint problem. I took Clarity to local Honda dealer. They found all systems normal. They turned off check engine light and left as if nothing happened. Car charged normally via 110v charger last night.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  19. EECM

EECM New Member

I had experienced the charging problem twice in less than 10 days. When I plug the car into a Level 2 charger, the car starts charging and then quickly stops. When I get into the car I get the following error message on the car dashboard: POWER SYSTEM: Plug-in Charging System Problem. Range Limited. The message goes away after I start the car, but the check engine light stays on for at least a day or two (depending on how many trips I make during those days). Car seems to charge and drive fine even with the check engine light on. When this happens, usually I can get the car to charge on the level 2 charger after several tries.

I just dropped my car at the dealer. Let's see what they say....

20. kent335

kent335 Member

The experience has been that public chargers can be hit or miss. I went to Chargepoint station in Dublin, CA, and got the message "cannot connect to server" when I tried to active the charging service. So, I moved to another Chargepoint station about 1/2 mile away in the same parking lot and was able to recharge without a problem. I recharge at home on a L2 Charger at 32A without a problem.

I think the consensus is that public charging stations are inherently unreliable.

21. EECM

EECM New Member

The issue is that I see many other cars (Volt, Bolt, Tesla, etc.) happily charging on the same station I've been having the problem with my Honda Clarity :-(

22. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

I’ve had my Clarity for 2 weeks and I got the charging problem today. It was a public charging station. Sun Country was the maker.

23. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

Do I use that link for Honda Canada too? Also, which topic and subtopic did you open the case under?