Traction Motor replacement

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rickker, Aug 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Igor

Igor New Member

Привіт друзі, ось доказ ще однієї причини в коробках передач Kona. UV3t9ZXnMMQ

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NRH

NRH Active Member

Yeah, certainly I'd be happy to not have any troubles. I will say that for me, warranty service has gone pretty well (or about as well as I expect at a dealership - maybe I benefit from having low expectations). Parts supply seems to have recovered - It's taken my dealership a week to get the various parts needed. The first couple times I mentioned the ticking noise, I wasn't surprised that they didn't hear it, because it was intermittent and fairly quiet.

At least here in the sticks (45 minutes from a Hyundai dealership, and half a day away from any Tesla presence) I don't think Hyundai is about to lose customers to Tesla. The wait on body parts for Teslas is apparently measured in seasons.

Jim Matthews and KiwiME like this.
  4. NRH

NRH Active Member

Got my Kona back last week, with a new traction motor, and the ticking noise is gone!
    Happy to have a nice quiet EV again.

Out of curiosity, could someone here tell me whether the gear oil would have gotten replaced when the traction motor (but not the reduction gear) was replaced?

5. Very unlikely, IMO.
    At your miles the value of an early change has long gone. Perhaps after you are sure the noise problem has been solved (noting that in many cases both items eventually need replacing) then get the oil changed.

-----
    In Igor's post he's referring to this video in which the axle-shaft spider spherical thrust washer has failed. A suggested reason was spinning of the tires in snow.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023