Software Update: October 2022

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Raleigh Ron, Dec 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

There's another update of the Nav/Map software - dated October 2022. I just updated, and besides the new Nav maps, you get some new features:
    * New sounds added to Sounds of Nature - by music director of "Squid Game" and "Parasite"! (I didn't realize we had Sounds of Nature).
    * New "sound effects" for each media type - found under Quick button on screen for each Media mode (I've never tried this, either)
    * New EV theme (from IONIQ 5) displaying range, battery status, etc.
    * For North America, voice recognition now works in French and Spanish
    * You can now set "Home" or "Work" via voice recognition. Just say "Home" (or "Work") then address - or if it's already set, say "Change Home" or "Change Work"
    * More info on FM/AM station screens

I have a 2022 Niro EV, so your results may vary if you own a different year's model.
    As usual, you need to download it via Kia's Navigation Updater tool, and have a spare 64GB USB drive to install it into your car.

Also, I didn't realize you can run the update with your car turned off. Well, mostly off. Before turning on the car, I plugged in the USB drive containing update. When I turned car on, it knew the USB drive contained a software update, and asked me if I wanted to install it after the car was turned off, which I did. Of course you leave the USB drive plugged into the car during this process. (Last update, I stupidly left the car on during the long update process).

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for telling us. This time there's an update for my 2022 Kia Niro EV EX.

4. rampart51

rampart51 New Member

Funny how they always leave out my 2020 Niro EV EX. Last time I updated, I downloaded the 2021 Niro version and it worked. Guess I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

5. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

this update broke location-based charging again, just btw.

if you have location based charging enabled and you try to charge up at a public charger, it won't recognize that you're outside of your location, so it will delay charging until the pre-set time.

a similar bug was introduced via an update last year, but it was resolved with a fix about 6 months later. so needless to say, the introduction of another bug is a complete and utter PITA.