New Honda CR-V Hybrid Powertrain?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Agzand, Aug 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Ah, the magic number that's eluded me all these years. I never knew the 181 hp of the traction motor was the power measured at the wheels. I believed it was the power the motor could convert to mechanical energy. I'm surprised Honda's confusing things by changing their power-rating methods for the CR-V Hybrid.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JeffJo

JeffJo Member

I'm not sure which it is, but it isn't really that that important. This is a number meant for comparison to ICEVs. But ICEs can only get the rated power at one rpm, which usually corresponds to only a few specific speeds. Most of which are where your tires can't handle max power. and the iMMD system can get it at any speed above about 37 mph.

Well, it probably wasn't their decision. When they developed this system, there was no standard that applied to hybrids. So they made one up that seemed good for comparison. But other hybrids can;t use it the same way, so a standard was developed.

insightman likes this.
  4. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Another change from Clarity is using a direct injection engine. While this could work better, in terms of longevity is not good. Clarity engine is port injected.

This is how the new motors configuration looks:
    [​IMG]

This shows assembly in Ohio:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    MrFixit and insightman like this.
  5. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Here’s a link to a video that explains more about the changes to the power train. It’s about five minutes long and reasonably informative.

Agzand and MrFixit like this.
  6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Having a connection between navigation information and the Hybrid system makes sense. If the system knows more about the upcoming load, it can better manage EV / HV accordingly.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JeffJo

JeffJo Member

What I'd want to know, is does it depend on you setting a route in the navigation system? And if it doesn't, how accurate is it at predicting?

Then, it makes more sense for a non-plug-in hybrid, than the Clarity. The point is to manage the limited range of the State of Charge. I do it manually, as best I can, in my Accord, but I do have to "trick" it to do what I want sometimes. I can't say how it would impact a Clarity.

All in all, I think they made far too many changes for the reviewers who didn't bother to understand the system. This navigation bit could make mistakes. They will sacrifice mpgs to make the engine sound like it is shifting. I actually prefer the push-button shifter, going back to a stick is more cumbersome. "B mode" has never been well understood, and if I understand it properly is less versatile. Here's my usual procedure:
    1. Press the "start" button.
    2. Drag my hand down the transmission console, pulling the "R" button when my fingers pass it.
      1. This is trivial, since it is indented.
    3. Press accelerator to back out of driveway.
      1. This automatically releases the parking break.
    4. Drop my hand onto the console again and press the "D" button.
      1. This is trivial, since there is a raised rim around it.
      2. I don't bother to come to a complete stop, since electric motors care only about speed differences, not absolute speed. (The car pr4events it above 5 mph).
    5. (If I need an N-point turn en-route, repeat 2 and 4 as needed.)
    6. When I reach mt destination, press "Start" again to stop the car.
      1. This automatically puts it in park, with the emergency brake on.
    That's four button presses for the entire interaction with the drive train. Two I need to look for with the car stopped, two I don't.

9. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

About parking (emergency) brake. I grew up way above arctic circle, and we got used to never use parking brake - otherwise you’d have to pee on rear wheels on the freezing morning (and if you are a girl - you screwed). But it was older cars with mechanical brakes - I am curious may be modern electric ones do not have that problem?

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I can't speak to whether peeing could be necessary in some cases, but at least the whole mechanism is sort of self-contained as an integral part of the caliper so you don't have exposed cables / levers and such. I would guess that they are less vulnerable to harsh conditions, but can't say for sure. Of course sometimes things that are entirely electrical can have a host of problems that are unique to electronics - computer issues, connector problems, wires chewed on by rodents, etc.

Just for reference, here is a simplified diagram of the EPB mechanism:

[​IMG]

11. How could the vehicle possibly know where it is headed without a route being programmed in the navigation system?

My experience is that the practice of switching modes in an effort to recapture energy is largely futile. That’s from the perspective of operating a PHEV with a 17kWh battery. With a Hybrid that has a 1.1KWh battery, it would seem like a complete waste of time.

That tiny battery would be completely discharged, going up any sort of grade within 1-2 miles, if it were the sole source of energy for the car. It might recapture half of the used energy on the descent. However, discharging and recharging that battery every 60-120 seconds will send it to an early grave. Non-plug-in hybrids tend to keep the battery between ~30-80% SOC. There simply isn’t much help available from a half of a kilowatt hour of stored energy.

The same level of futility exists with a PHEV over similar, gently rolling, terrain. To make matters worse, at least in the Clarity, the SOC set point is re-establish every time the mode is changed from EV to HV, usually at a lower point each time.

One case where the old switcheroo can be useful is where a significant descent follows after pulling a long grade in HV. I’ve seen 3-4 bars restored on descents of 6-10 miles. The battery needs to be sufficiently depleted before heading downhill, in order to maximize regen.

Going uphill in EV can be a pleasant experience. However, it can use 2-3 times the energy as compared to going the same speed on flat terrain. The amount of energy used going uphill will never be recaptured going the same distance down hill.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

The Nav system is always active in the background—that's how it will show you where you are as soon as you activate the map screen. Not hard to believe that the new system would be able to make the adjustments whether it has been programmed to a route or not.