After 11 weeks of ownership...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by BCBeaver, Oct 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BCBeaver

BCBeaver New Member

I have 2wd LR in Canada. We've driven it about 9000km. Most of our driving is windey BC highways. My early impressions:

I love this car. It's quiet, it's really solid in the corners, it's comfortable and it moves like a mofo when you tell it to. It's big and roomy, I can stick a mountain bike, a cello, a cat in a box, 2 golden retriever sized dogs, a couple weekend bags and some groceries in it without playing tetris. It's got good range, I often see it telling me there are about 420km in the tank, my wife often sees 500km, it knows how I drive. It must differentiate us by fob. The seating is not too high or too low, my 80yo mom likes that it's easy to get in and out of.

It has some drawbacks that I've found like when am I ever going to get these bugs off my windshield? In an ICE car you pull up, fill up, check oil and clean windshield weekly, now I just drive by.

But seriously, WTF is with this dash? It's laid out so bad, who cares what direction I'm going or what my tire pressures are. Dead center is a bunch of unnecessary crap information, the speedo is hidden under my hand. Move your steering wheel people say, I say **** that, I want my hand where they're comfortable. Even if I move my steering wheel I'm still playing peekaboo with the speedometer.

If you don't have your key fob you can't lock your doors. It auto unlocks but doesn't auto lock, very often I'll notice my door handles sticking out but unless I'm packing my fob I can't do anything about it. I live on a steep bank below the road so I've got to go down 3 flights of stairs to get my fob. It gets old fast.

Cruise control is trash. I like to set my cruise as a minimum speed then drive my pedal above that. That works on every other car in the world but nope not this one. If you're touching your pedal you'll go as slow as the pedal amount you're giving it until you take your foot off entirely then it speeds up to the set point.

I hate the headrests. I like to sit fairly upright but when I do the headrest pushes my head forward. On long trips I usually take it out and throw it on the floor. I tried turning it backwards but it doesn't work.

The steering wheel buttons, they're just bad. I jump in a rental car from any other manufacturer and in minutes I've got all the buttons figured out. These are non intuitive, musta been the same guy laid these out as designed the dash.

ScubaSteve, Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Great report! Too bad Hyundai missed the mark on some of the important details. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the drawbacks of the headrests, cruise control, steering-wheel buttons, and hidden speedo before. Those are very important details to me. I was looking forward to the Ioniq 6, but, sadly, it will probably suffer from the same drawbacks.

4. BCBeaver

BCBeaver New Member

I hear some of you thinking, lock it with the app. 1st, I don't always have my phone on me, 2nd, the app. Should I say more? OK. I live on the edge of a cell shadow (it's a thing in the mountains), more often than not the app doesn't work for various reasons. Usually if im persistant i can connect with my car in a few attempts but when I can't connect repeatedly for a few days I delete and reinstall the app and it works for a while.

So the app is not an acceptable solution to locking my car when I don't have the fob.

I know why my car is always unlocked, before today I'd never noticed that when I open the juice cap to charge all the doors unlock as well.

5. Nice review (would love to see a pic).
    So, you mentioned putting a cello in it. Does you think an upright bass would fit? A friend plays a 3/4-size upright and currently carries it in a Nissan Juke, which is kind of a short car, so the headstock comes right up between the seat and almost touches the dash. Trying to talk them into getting something electric, but the ability to handle the bass is the top requirement.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Maybe have your friend consider a BMW i4 35e (whenever that comes out?) for his upright bass? Plenty of loading room for hatchbacks.

Even Bjorn Nyland can sleep in one!

bmwi4bjorn.jpg

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I hadn't thought of a sedan, but that looks like it could actually work.

teslarati97 likes this.
  9. MJ53

MJ53 New Member

Sorry to hear you’re not enjoying your I5. I have no problems with the items you mention. To each his own…

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

10. mikcole

mikcole New Member

That's not exactly what he said. He IS enjoying his I5. The things he points out, except for the CC, are common irritants for many many other people. But they are relatively minor irritants. It's good for folks like me, still in the waiting line, to hear these things and it's even better if Hyundai hears these things.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  11. MJ53

MJ53 New Member

Ok, if you say so. Sounded like a lot of unnecessary griping to me but you are probably a nicer person than me. We’ve been driving ours since mid July and are 99% super happy with all of it. Even the lack of a rear wiper hasn’t been an issue yet, although it probably will be as winter ramps up here on the prairies. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. It’s a fantastic ride!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. mikcole

mikcole New Member

Odd, I am not known as a nice person but maybe I let it slip sometimes. Thanks for your positive review of the car. If an EV can work on the prairies, it can work anywhere. You guys have issues with cold, wind and the charging infrastructure is so-so.

Domenick likes this.
  14. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

I'm not sure why you're having an issue with this. I use the pedal all the time while in cruise to pass or adjust to entering traffic, but taking the foot off restores the cruise set speed. It's true if you don't take your foot off you have manual control, but it's never been a problem, at least not for me. I don't mean to speak for everybody, though.