More range than expected

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GMac, Aug 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Thornton

David Thornton New Member

I think the Kona has 64kwh usable.

KiwiME likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Even if we assume the same driving style (economical in Normal settings) there are lots of possible variables. I looked at my records I and could only achieve similar performance to yours a few times this summer. Interestingly all ware at 'high' temperatures (27-29C - AC On) and trips of over 100km at average speeds about 85-90km/hr.
    My average efficiency for June, July and August, over 7390km (~4619mi) is 13.3kWh/100km or 4.7mi/kWh. Go figure. I am not complaining.
    My Kona, Sunshine and Flip Flops make me Happy. :)

Mike Bearsails and electriceddy like this.
  4. I definitely believe after our cross-canada journey that the Kona performs best in hilly environments and if you can keep your speed below 90kph/55mph, no matter the location, you're going to see the best possible mileage.

5. NRH

NRH Active Member

This is it. When doing a long trip, keep your navigation on, and note the difference between miles to destination and miles on the GOM. Say you're up 50 miles at the beginning. If that drops to 45 miles, then you're getting lower efficiency than the GOM expected. Slow down a bit and you'll see it stabilize. If the second half of your trip will be on slower roads, you'll see the difference grow again. If the second half of your trip is at higher speeds than you've just been traveling (or uphill, or into a headwind) then you can expect to lose more of your reserve. Getting the hang of this takes all the range anxiety out of driving, even driving down to single-digit battery percentages. Range becomes very predictable this way.

Mike Bearsails and Chris Alemany like this.
  6. NRH

NRH Active Member

Lately, with rural driving around home, our GOM was regularly saying 340 miles! Then we took off on a long road trip, and that started falling fast, as we cruised at 75 mph on the interstate. On the return trip the GOM said about 260 at the beginning and remained spot on for the whole trip back.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 100% agree with this! The GOM ended up being very accurate if we were aware of our surroundings and kept an eye on our distance as you said. We got very good at predicting how much we'd have left and the anxiety melted away.

electriceddy and Lars like this.
  9. There is no surprise here.The GOM has no idea what are you going to do when you start. As you go, it will attempt to it figure out and update the guesstimate. Remember it updates periodically!

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Interesting post on that periodic updating here speculating a GOM rolling average based on replacement of latest distance travelled replacing an older distance travelled recorded.;)

Lars likes this.
  11. 22kona

22kona New Member

Possibly, the motor may use for example 15kwh going up the hill, but generate 20kwh when generating downhill.
    Due to regenerative braking being of a short duration, the system may be set up to allow higher charging limits?
    The GOM idea sounds more plausible, but just thinking out loud.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

That certainly matches my experience. Around here there aren't many places to go over 55mph, so keeping the speed down is no problem.

14. Just had our 2023 Kona for 1 1/2 weeks now but have 2000km on it. The GOM regularly shows 458km at 90% SOC and thatis pretty close to bang on for the mix of driving we do. Wife puts on 110km or so on her commute to and from work and I do some running around at night.
    Taking it to Florida in November which should be interesting...going to Toronto for a wedding in 2 weeks which will be kind of a test run at highway speeds. This car puts a big smile on my face whenever I get to drive it!
    Mike

Lars and electriceddy like this.
  15. Wonderful to see these kinds of numbers so early in the season:
    [​IMG]
    Mix of hwy and city driving, can hardly wait to see when the warm weather really settles in:)

Domenick, 22kona and Lars like this.
  16. Yeep! Ideal conditions for the battery - between 18C and 22C :)

electriceddy and 22kona like this.
  17. 22kona

22kona New Member

I'm just starting my first winter with the Kona and it definitely makes a difference, I do a 60km trip up and down the freeway every week, I sit on 110-120mn/hr.
    Normally it uses around 15kW/100km at 20c, on Sunday went early temp was 7c it was using approx 18kW/100km, first time I've been up to that usage.
    I didn't realise it would be so much higher, assumed anything above 0c wouldn't affect consumption much, still find it a great car.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  18. Don’t show us the GOM range; show us the efficiency since last charge. I’m netting around 4.5mi/kWh since the start of May, as opposed to 3.6-3.7mi/kWh over the winter. Having the sunroof and windows open instead of running the climate control has certainly helped. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  19. If you are just going into winter you must be somewhere 'down under'. :D I was looking at my records, my worse winter 'Trip Efficiency' was 20kW/100km at -10C and high speed (110-120km/h) driving. I recall one short trip it when it was 24kW/100km. There are many variables.

22kona likes this.
  20. I live in the metric world (Canada) so conversion is painful. In any case there are too many variables. Even in Efficiency numbers between charges. Unless you are driving on a constant route, like mostly back and forth to work, every day the results can vary a great deal. It really depends on how and where did you drive. Lo at my chart for April.

Attached Files:

22kona and electriceddy like this.
  21. I see you achieved below 125 Wh/km for a couple of days from your chart, which is a great average and one that I will hope see within too long.:)

At present average consumption is 149 Wh/km (4.1 mii/ kWh/ kWh) . Best recent 85 Wh/km (7.3 mi/kWh)

I just find this easier as the GOM is a pretty accurate representation, and I thought it would suit the thread title with more authenticity. ;)

Lars and Domenick like this.
  22. Using GOM is fine for me. At least you do not have to convert.

23. It's actually a little annoying that I can't set it to Wh/100m or something. If I set the distance unit to miles, the only option for efficiency unit is mi/kWh. :(