My real-world range - long range AWD

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by exbrit, May 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. exbrit

exbrit New Member

Thought the community might appreciate this real-world experience of the Ioniq range. I have the AWD model and yesterday did a 440 km trip with no problem. I did plug in at lunch to a free charger and got 50 km of range from that, but arrived home with 72 km remaining, so approximately 460 km of real-world range.

The drive included some highway at 110 km/h and then a lot of rolling hills on 80 km/h speed limit roads (typically I was driving at about 87 on these roads). Temperatures were as low as 10 celsius but in the mid to high teens for the majority of the drive.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tuhunga

Tuhunga New Member

Curious what settings did you use? I-pedal, eco etc?

4. exbrit

exbrit New Member

Should have mentioned, I was in Eco and on level 3 regen.

5. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

This is similar to my experience, and I also used Eco Mode with level 3 re-gen. I only use i-Pedal when I am going to be driving in urban areas for an extended period of time, not on long road trips.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Ken Altshuler

Ken Altshuler New Member

Very different from my experience. I went long distance, about 600 miles and got very erratic results. At home before the trip, I would charge to 80% and it was always around 200 mi. For the trip I charged initially to 100% (250 mi). During the trip itself, at various times on filling, it would run down to as low as 18% (21 mi) at which point I would charge to 80% After each charge, I could not be sure of the future distance, they varied wildly, always at 80%, anywhere from 147 to 187 miles. On returning home, I then charged to 80% and it showed 162 miles available. When I first purchased the IONIQ 5, I was told that I would get between 270 and 300 mi on a 100% charge, so about 240 to 250mi at 80%. I seem to be way off. I am having the car serviced tomorrow and I will see what they say.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2 months in with my AWD Ioniq 5 I am finding my day to day range is pretty much the same to my previous FWD Kona EV, which was great. I have no complaints here.

9. Ken Altshuler

Ken Altshuler New Member

I am very confused. After coming home and checking in with Hyundai, who had no explanation for the variance in distance/percentage numbers, I have now been home for one week. After two charges, I am now back to getting a range of 200 miles at 80%. This is what I was getting before and what I was lead to expect. It sure wasn't true on my trip, where at one point at 80%, it showed a range of 147 miles. Why is this happening? Hyundai had no valid explanation.
    I understand that the IONIQ 5 tracks driving habits, but my numbers were really all over the map.
    Is this truly a Guess-o-meter?

10. Newby4EV

Newby4EV Member

Was your long drive only highways and your local at home use is a mix of city/highway? I have seen that variation as well because when I am at home I don't drive only highways, so I get a lot more range. The guess o meter adapt based on the previous drive, it cannot know if all of a sudden you will start driving highways at 70mi/h

11. Ken Altshuler

Ken Altshuler New Member

Yes. that is exactly the case. I have been home for about two weeks and I am back to getting from 250-270 mile range at 100%.
    I understand that it has to do with freeway vs. mix use driving, but is this the kind of thing I should expect? Is the posted mileage that unreliable an indicator? It sure makes taking any longer road trip a bit more anxiety producing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. NRH

NRH Active Member

This is normal, and I bet your driving style will even out a bit. The range indicated is based on your recent (past) driving. If you've only been driving at 45 mph, the estimated range will be higher than you can actually get if you hop on the freeway and drive 80mph. The thing that helps the most is lowering your speed just a bit on the interstate. If you drive 70 instead of 80, you'll see a marked increase in your range.
    On long trips, I pay attention to my trip efficiency. If that stays around 4.0 kw/mi, then I know I can trust my range. If it's dropping into the high 3.x then I need to either ease up a bit, or plan to charge sooner than the range. You'll see the difference between your distance to destination and your range changing when this happens, and it shows you that the range estimate was based on an efficiency that was better than what you're currently getting. Sounds complicated, but really it becomes quite intuitive after a couple trips.

Same thing happens in your gas cars, but we don't pay any attention to efficiency in those, generally. We just pump gas into them whenever they tell us to!

Mike Bearsails and electriceddy like this.
  14. Ken Altshuler

Ken Altshuler New Member

NRH, Thank you for your reply! I have now had the IONIQ 5 for 5 months and you are correct. My range, if I slow down a bit, is much more accurate. In general, I am getting around 3.7 kw/mi range. I do have some anxiety when on the road, so I am now just assuming to look for a charge at around 20%. I had hoped to take advantage of the free Electrify America charging, but it just isn't possible for me, when I leave the area. I downloaded the PlugShare APP and it has been a real help. THanks again.

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  15. exbrit

exbrit New Member

A bit of an update after almost 6,000 kms of driving my AWD Ioniq 5. I've done a pretty standard mix of highway, urban, rural road driving and am averaging around 15 kwh / 100 km. That equates to just over 465 km or 290 miles. I've done at least three trips where I drove normally, using Normal mode, no hyper-miling techniques, ran the climate control on auto at 22.5 C, used the ventilated seats, and still exceeded 460 km. A lot of this driving has occurred during mild / warm weather, so things will not be as good in winter, but overall I'm really pleased with the results. On my first long drive where range was a question, I used Eco mode, but I pretty much never do so now. The performance just feels a bit too stunted and it does not seem to make a huge difference to efficiency.

One thing to note: on the freeway, I generally am driving at or just above the 100km / 110km speed limits, and I imagine if I cranked that up to 130 km, the range would drop quite significantly.

16. With my AWD I have achieved as much as an actual 520 km mostly urban cycle range and the best highway(100-105km/hr) has been around 420 km. These are summer numbers in normal mode. Again very happy with its range.