F55 and/or F56 for parts?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CastleWolfenstein, Jul 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Should all F55/F56 parts that I order fit the SE? I'm on eBay looking at parts and they all say incompatible (likely due to the sellers not updating on their end).

I just want to be sure I'm not ordering things that I'll have to send back. TIA

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

No specific knowledge here, but given that the SE and ICE versions are built on the same platform on the same assembly line, many parts are presumably identical.

OTOH, the motor is of course different, and you could run into issues with anything electronic/controlled by the software. The suspension is also different. So, it would really depend on what part(s) you had in mind.

4. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Which parts are you looking at? By and large the parts should fit, but some may not considering there have been 2 LCIs since 2014 when the F56 launched.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE is basically the same as an F56 S model, almost everything will work but match your model year (2022+ versus 2020/2021). The suspension parts may be different, and maybe the brakes?

CastleWolfenstein likes this.
  6. Looking mainly at cosmetic stuff atm

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. wessy

wessy Active Member

Cosmetically, setting aside the SE’s unique badges and embossed “fuel filler” door (and yellow mirror caps and Power Spoke wheels, etc., if so equipped), the only clear difference between the SE and all the petrol-powered F56 2-door hardtops that I can think of is how the black plastic cladding at the bottom of the SE (and on its fenders, too, I think) is slightly broader than the petrol F56’s cladding to help visually disguise the SE’s slightly higher ride height. (The SE rides higher to give the battery adequate ground clearance.)

But it’s very subtle — the proportional differences in the cladding aren’t easy to discern even when comparing side-by-side photos of the SE and petrol F56s.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’d “like” that differently if I could. It’s a good answer. I’ve noticed quite a few local SEs based on the design decisions, from the rear valance with no exhaust cutout, to the much deeper wheel arch skirts when viewed from the side. Once you know to look for them, they’re easy to spot.

10. wessy

wessy Active Member

Right — another obvious difference that I totally spaced on!

Speaking of our SEs’ total lack of exhaust pipes and my questionable powers of observation, after I got mine late last year I noticed it only had one (PA) state inspection sticker on the windshield instead of the usual two. But it wasn’t until the third time I noticed that during those first few days that it finally occurred to me, “Oh yeah — the ‘missing’ sticker would be for an emissions system inspection, which my electric car will obviously never need!”

Sometimes I can be REAL quick like that. :rolleyes:

SameGuy likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This brings up an interesting pair of design decisions by MINI's marketing staff. The SE includes a fake hood scoop to emulate a go-fast modification for an ICE car, but there is no go-fast fake exhaust pipe.

"Of course not, that would be silly!"--how many readers just said that?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

One thing I've read on this forum - some owners want to replace the side markers with smoked LEDs, and the 2022+ models do not yet have an aftermarket option that fits. I may have missed an update on that topic, though.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

SameGuy likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The 2022+ models also have a different front end, no fog lights.

16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The answer starts at 4:08

insightman likes this.
  17. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

DC gave me one of these.

Attached Files: