Degradation of Replacement HV Battery

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris Alemany, Jun 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi all,

As did many of you, I had my main battery replaced earlier this year. I recently purchased an iCar Pro ODBII dongle to be able to monitor the health of the car and the battery and I was surprised to find the %battery degradation listed as 3% after just a few months with the new battery. It's a commuter vehicle, 140km a day most work days. So we've put a good 2000km on the battery already but I'm still quite surprised by that percentage.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with their cars, either pre- or post- recall/replacement?
    Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Is your software really displaying degradation metrics? Or is it some sort of State of Health?

4. I’ve used EVNotify and ABRP and they show the same value. EVNotify calls it state of health and ABRP calls it degradation… IMG_6293.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Ginginova likes this.
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I believe Hyundai can replace with a new or refurbished battery per warranty on Page 23:

The Warranty period for the following HYBRID, PLUG-IN HYBRID, AND ELECTRIC VEHICLE SYSTEM components is limited to 10 years from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery ("EV Battery") warranty covers any warrantable repairs that occur during the warranty coverage period. If your battery requires warranty service and if possible the EV battery components will be repaired or replaced and the original EV Battery will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or refurbished Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage will maintain at least equal energy capacity to the original Battery before the failure occurred but no less than 70% of the original battery capacity. Despite the breadth of this warranty, damage resulting from intentional actions (including intentionally abusing or destroying your vehicle or ignoring active vehicle warnings), a collision or accident or the servicing or opening of the Battery by non-authorized personnel, is not covered under this Battery Limited Warranty.

It's possible that the battery health was below 97% and the replacement brought you back up to 97%!

6. It's possible that the "SoH" reading present in the OBD data is actually being trueful now with the updated BMS software that I understand accompanies a battery replacement. Posts from some time ago on SpeakEV indicated that European LHD cars with the SKI cells did show less than 100% after a while.

navguy12 and Chris Alemany like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well one things for sure, there is a more than enough data to figure out how your battery, and the rest of the car, is doing! Tried out a car
    Scanner app on the drive to work today. IMG_6331.JPG IMG_6333.JPG IMG_6339.JPG IMG_6345.JPG

9. Fairfax John

Fairfax John New Member

When I got my replacement I noticed the range jumped considerably. Full charge now shows a range of 311 miles, 80% charge shows a range of 253. New battery effect? I don’t know if it will last but I’m pleased so far.

10. As posted elsewhere, I lost 40 miles of range following the replacement. I used to get 305 at 100% charge and now only 265. Apparently I am an outlier.

11. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Have not had my Battery Replaced but my Charging Range jumps all over the place. From a low of 305 to a high of 325. The latest charge yesterday was 317 up from 305. I find that charging at different battery levels will make the difference. I have charged with a low of 5% and a high of 28% just to see what the effect is. Sorry, I did not keep a record but the numbers above 305 to 325 were my results. Just experiment with different levels to see what you get. Good Luck.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have found a strong dependence of range on the temperature of the car during charging. My Honda Clarity PHEV loses about 20% of its reported 47 miles range in winter (mild Seattle Winters parked in garage) and gains about 10% in summer.

navguy12 likes this.
  14. Alberto Marty

Alberto Marty New Member

electriceddy and KonaAU like this.
  15. I believe the mentioned app Chris used is EVNotify

16. The screenshots are from an app called “Car Scanner” . It is on iOS. Paired with the ODBII adapter, easy to setup and use.

KonaAU and Ginginova like this.
  17. which app is better or are they the same--EV notify or Car Scanner? EV notify seems more specific to EVs. Also is there any risk of damaging the car if you use these apps? Lastly, what OBDII-dongle is recommended?

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Tren

Tren New Member

EVNotify shows some basic sensors, but is free. Car Scanner ELM OBD2 shows way more parameters, full version costs 5 to 7 USD.

Generally iCar Vgate adapters are good - will turn off automatically if not used, no risk to flatten the 12V battery.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. Thank you Tren.