Anyone ever get a “Drivetrain” error message?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by wessy, Jan 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Basically, from what I understand, after the vehicle is delivered to the dealer and exits the transport process, the initial charge must be brought to above 90% as part of the process of the Mini dealer receiving the vehicle from the VPC and prepping for retail sale. If this is not done, there will be fault codes.

I've put 350 miles on my car in three days. Other than the code issue at delivery, I've had absolutely zero issues. I'm in love with this car - economy and driving fun-factor are absolutely top notch. Last night I went to pick up my wife's car from the dealership that's been there since Friday. It would have cost me at least $5 to drop my friend off to pick my wife's car from the dealer and go back home in fuel alone. Instead it cost me about $0.86 in electricity from my L2 at home.
    I anticipate driving about 1800 to 2000 miles a month with 1x / 2x a week 110 mile round-trip commutes from DC to Fredericksburg, VA, on I-95. We'll see how she does!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    wessy, CorgiCanoe and SameGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My car was at 20% charge when I picked it up at the dealers place. No fault codes showed on my way home. Then I of course charged it to 100%

wessy likes this.
  4. wessy

wessy Active Member

That’s exactly what I thought you meant on your first brief mention of the need for the car to be charged over 90% pre-delivery — no lack of clarity IMO — but I appreciate the fuller explanation.

When I first reported my “Drivetrain” error to my MINI dealer, someone there mused aloud about wondering if my car had been taken out of “transport mode.” I asked what that was when I took the car in, and they said they weren’t aware of a “transport mode” — but I wonder if maybe the SE remains effectively in what some apparently refer to (perhaps unofficially?) as “transport mode” until the battery has been charged to more than 90%? (No idea, just thinking aloud.)

Anyway, I’m very glad to hear you’re thoroughly enjoying your new SE! :D

moncureww likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If the dealer is supposed to charge the car to 90% to prevent a drivetrain error message, that must mean it's not charged to 90% at the factory. So I wonder what the charge level is when SEs leave the factory?

The factory has only a rough idea of how long it will take an SE to get to its destination. In the summer of 2020, my SE sat in Southampton for a month before getting onto a RORO carrier. Fortunately, it sailed to Baltimore rather than making the long trip though the Panama Canal. Still, the GOM reported just 4 miles of range when my SE arrived at the dealer.

How can any MINI dealer be so clueless that they wouldn't fully charge a new electric car on principle alone? Do they deliver ICE MINIs with just a couple of gallons in the gas tank?

6. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Transport mode was my thought after reading more on the forums. Yeah everything has been great and I have been driving 60-75 miles a day on average pretty much which is what I expected. About to take my second 110 mile round-trip. I’m pushing 2000 miles a month and this has been a big money saver already. When winter comes my driving slow down.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Given the reported minimal/absent parasitic losses with the SE, it seems that the safe bet would be to ship the vehicles with very little charge. No point having a bunch of highly -charged batteries just sitting there waiting to add to a catastrophe if it isn't necessary

MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You're right the shippers don't want EVs carrying any more charge than necessary, but I wonder how many times an SE (or any EV) has been unable to roll off the Roll-On-Roll-Off carrier under its own power? If my SE arrived from Baltimore with only 4 miles of GOM range, they're cutting it pretty close. Of course, all SEs undergo an inspection at the destination port, so they can make sure there's enough charge to drive onto and off of the transporters that take the cars to dealers.

10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Do we not agree that 4 GOM miles is likely white a bit more than 4 miles?

Rogwp and insightman like this.
  11. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lol “quite”*

It was sunny when I voice-texted that and I didn’t notice!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. wessy

wessy Active Member

THANK YOU!!! :D

Before arriving at the dealer the day I picked mine up, I figured my biggest potential disappointment with the delivery experience would be if they didn’t present my new SE to me with one of those giant decorative gift bows on it. :rolleyes: Seriously, on my way there that morning I was getting all excited about the picture I’d have taken of myself next to my new British Racing Green MINI with, I was hoping — and, actually, expecting; it was Christmas week, after all! — a giant RED bow on the hood. :cool:

What I was NOT expecting was to find my car with so little juice that I wasn’t sure I’d make it the 16 miles home. :mad:

Not exactly the “premier” brand experience BMW intends for its MINI customers, I contend.

(OK, that’s the LAST time I b*tch about this, I promise! But it did feel good to say that out loud…thanks for indulging me! ;))

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  14. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello.

I'm under the impression that you didn't read my adventure with the AC-3 phase charging, right? It ended with a Drivetrain error message that completly shut down the car. Here's the car waiting for the tow:
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, in my case, the problem was related with problems on the 12V cabling (e_charge and HV_IL, I think)...really a sad story that at least ended welll (after 3 months of pain, that is)

moncureww likes this.
  15. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Well, after one week and a day, I've put just over 1,000 miles on the new SE. I have family that lives a 110-mile round trip from me that I've been to see three times, and I've made every excuse I could to run errands and cruise around Washington, DC, and the car has performed flawlessly without issue. I'm confident now that the vehicle was still in a transit mode of some sort. From spirited driving to cruising in green+ mode, the car has been an absolute delight. I put it on my level 2 Grizzl-e Classic charger when I'm in my driveway, and I've used DC fast charging with Electrify America every time I drive back / into town from about 50 miles south of my home in DC. There have been no real issues other than some Apple CarPlay glitches / hanging here and there. Looking forward to driving the Mini well into the future.

wessy, revorg, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

With 114 miles range on our go carts but I still love my SE is no future 9707B4CB-69A7-45A3-BE20-70C7611A3F5B.jpeg

18. RicardoSeixal

RicardoSeixal New Member

Hello luis , im from Portugal to .
    Can you tell me exactly what we’re the cables that you change to solve your problem ? I have the same problem, high voltage problem and “grupo propulsor” .
    The car does not start, maybe something with that cables

19. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello.

In my case, they repared the 12 V cables, on the lines e_charge and HV_IL (one of them was the cause of the 3 phase chargin issue and the other was responsible for the error you're having). I've even seen a video that reproduced the problem: the car was working but "shaking" the cables with the hand disconnected the engine and resulted in that message (btw, this problem happened after they tried to solve the 3 phase charging issue - I'm assuming that during the replacement work, they've probably cut out one of those cables without noticing it).

20. RicardoSeixal

RicardoSeixal New Member

Thanks luis … can you show me a picture or something where I can identify the cables ?

21. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello again.

Unfortuantely, no. There are really lots of small cables coming out of the 12 v battery and e_charge and HV_IL was the only reference I was able to get from official support.

22. RicardoSeixal

RicardoSeixal New Member

Thanks Luis, anyone here can show me this cables ? E_charge and HV_IL

23. RicardoSeixal

RicardoSeixal New Member

My car don’t start … pull out in the dashboard high voltage and I think you say here drivetrain error … I just can put the car in neutral , but nothing more , and when I put the cable to charge the car , in the dashboard the % comes in red and don’t charge