Does the 22 Kona Fix issues that plagued prior years?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Mar 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I did, thanks to a write up from @KiwiME- check the repair issues and fixes thread pinned to the top of the Kona EV page , and you are right...it does run a lot quieter and smoother.
    As far as the 12V battery, newer software changes the charging algorithm, a lot more charging especially after short runs ;)

KiwiME and Loc Quan like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rob Kaulfuss

Rob Kaulfuss New Member

Before getting my 2021 Kona Ultimate in September 2021, I also tried the Chevy Bolt EUV, VW ID.4, Mustang Mach-E, and Niro EV. The Kona was the fastest and most fun to drive. It was also more available, less expensive, the most efficient, and the best ground clearance (Niro was very close on all these). For the VW, Mustang, or waiting for the new Kia EV6 or Ioniq 5, I decided to opt for the Kona which had been out for a number of years and had the bugs worked out, which they seem to have been!

Toolworker and electriceddy like this.
  4. If you can live with the relatively slow DC charging by comparison to the newer models, there is little to be gained, with the exception of a couple of more $ in your pocket:)

Clamps and Jim Brown like this.
  5. Just returned from a trip in the interior, incl skiing and some real winter driving. Kona worked like a champ, never missed a beat. And of course, all free charging. Stayed at hotels that had free L2 chargers, and charged twice now to 100% (first times since the new battery replacement) and showed 470 kms range each time after the charge. Will be interesting to see what it will be in the summer and mostly city driving. With the old battery, best range was 525 kms. The BC hydro stations charged at 49 kW, while the Petro-Canada ones held a steady 55 kW. Didn't take long to get up to 80% while grabbing a bite to eat. Kona might not have the fastest charger, but the long range sure helps and makes it a pretty good trip car.

I have pre-orders in for the Ioniq 5, but makes me wonder whether I really want to give up this car.

6. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

I'm having trouble believing this. I bought a USED 2019 Ultimate that had recently had the traction batteries replaced. Noticed some noise during mild accel/decel-regen, took it to the dealer, they didn't even quibble, replaced the drive motor, fixed a scraping noise in the steering column, didn't charge me a dime. "The battery issue" is what? If the traction battery "died" at 3000 miles, that is pretty cut and dry. If you are talking about the 12v battery, jeez, I'm not sure I'd not just put a nicer aftermarket in if you are fighting with the dealer over it. I mean you would be talking about a $200 item, and I'm struggling thinking they would argue over that at all.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just thought I'd post the results of this recent poll from Reddit. It's probably what we all would have guessed.

83% reported no problems, 12% some issues and 4.6% unhappy.

upload_2022-4-26_14-41-46.png

electriceddy and John Lumsden like this.
  9. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

The battery packs died (big red caution light on the dashboard and no va for the car); they did not have any in stock to provide a new one. I wouldn't be fighting over a 12 V battery. They said it was good it was under warranty because it is 10K to replace. I have the lemon law agreement and resolution to prove that they bought it back, in addition to quite a bit of heartburn from this process. Also, Hyundai did not file the change of ownership with the DMV, so the lawyer had to do that.

10. larsamike

larsamike New Member

Had a 2017 Ioniq...worst car I've ever owned.
    And this after happily owning many Hyundai's before it.

They dont know how to make an electric car yet.

Facsimiles of Teslas are underdeveloped knockoffs.
    Even Nissan Leafs are far superior.

11. Count me in that first category and a 1/2 vote in the second as well (2 Kona EVs, satisfied with both, warranty repairs including software updates were done appropriately and competently.;)
    Had 2 Leafs, both with bad cells. The worst one was my 2015 with 180 mv differential, did Nissan actually help me?...NO, went across the road and purchased Kona EV and have been satisfied ever since.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 980 km, noticed EV battery chewing up twice as much juice per km. Eventually got a 'Check EV' alert.

After a few tests requested by Hyundai Canada, a new complete battery was ordered since it would alert again after a few resets. Apparently, some cells would show a slight voltage variation, but the faulty cells would change from one visit to another.

14. Tesla 12vbatt

Tesla 12vbatt New Member

12V lithium replacement battery for KONA is available from lithiummoto.com/tesla-12v-battery

15. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

So you bought a used Ioniq, had problems with it and think a 2022 Kona EV isn't much better. Guess you never owned a Kona EV did you? My 2021 Kona EV had none of the issues the older models did - none. I traded in the Kona EV for my current IONIQ 5 - excellent vehicle too. Had I known about the IONIQ 5, I would've waited instead of buying the Kona EV, otherwise the trade-in value was great for the Kona EV and the only way I could afford an IONIQ 5.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I had my 2019 Kona Ultimate for almost 2 years and really enjoyed owning it. The only issues I had with it were numerous trips to the dealership as part of the battery recall (two software updates and 1 physical battery inspection) and the 12V battery died. The 12V battery dying was ultimately resolved by the dealership but it took them 10 days to fix as they hadn’t had an EV in for service yet. The timing was unfortunate as it died and refused to move on the morning of Christmas Eve. Luckily, the dealership was able to tow it and get me in a loaner within a couple hours. At the time, I thought it died due to a HV battery failure. I had a lot of really fun drives in my Kona and will always think of it fondly.

After a year without an EV, I just leased a 2022 Bolt EUV which I really like so far. It does a number of things better than the Kona but it’s not as efficient as the Kona was (due to its extra weight).

I’m so glad to be done with stressing every time I filled up at the pump!

ScubaSteve and electriceddy like this.