Light inside the charge port?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by kicksology, Jan 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. wessy and SpeedyRS like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

I am in Texas, and I was quite surprised to find a build-up of water in my charging port after moderate rain. I park in a garage almost all the time, so any water accumulation is from driving in rain. I will look into some kind of seal. It's disappointing that Mini did not incorporate a seal in that area.

This water build-up is my ONLY complaint about my Mini SE (just got it in Sept. 2021).

SpeedyRS likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As you probably saw, @SpeedyRS sealed his charging port very well. It appears MINI/BMW's engineers threw up their hands and conceded the battle against water getting past the cosmetic door. They designed the charging port covers to keep water out of the charging ports themselves.

Honda designed the charging port door for our Clarity Plug-In Hybrid to incorporate the charging-port cover, making charging more convenient--not much water gets past the door, but it's not waterproof. However, unlike the SE, the US Clarity doesn't have a Level 3 charging port to protect. The more expensive Japanese Clarity Plug-In Hybrid has a completely separate Level 3 charging port on the opposite side of the car from the Level 2 charging port--I don't know if it has an inner cover for the Level 3 charging port.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  5. I don't have a mini yet, so my question is doesn't the water run back out the bottom? On ICE cars moisture has gotten in this space for years w/o any adverse effect.

6. insightman

If you look at the photo @SpeedyRS provided, the water can collect below the Level 3 charging port--there is no drain hole.

Just once I had trouble opening the charging-port door due to water freezing on the hinge. On that mostly sub-freezing day, the temperature rose just long enough for some rain to fall and freeze on my cold SE. I pushed on the charging port door repeatedly and it eventually popped open.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

The charge port cover on the i3 is much better, with a rubber seal fitted to the cover itself. I don’t know why Mini couldn’t have copied that design; including the light strip around the port!

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Laziness? Remember the SE is a repurposed ICE model, which doesn't have anything fancy behind the fuel port door. It is surprising there's not even a drain hole, though.

NewGreen likes this.
  10. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking that the ICE Mini doesn’t have a flap at all though? I thought it had either a chrome or a black fuel cap only.

11. Puppethead

Previous generation MINIs only had the cap. With the current generation there's a metal door in the body just like the SE, but then a fuel cap that creates a seal on the filler tube. I'm guessing there's a "drain hole" in the sense the filler tube isn't sealed to the body. I have a first generation Clubman with the chrome cap only, but I can't check it for drainage. I never remember water pooling inside the fuel compartment.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Hah, the previous generation design fooled me. It is indeed a chrome "cap", but it's really a lid that goes over the actual fuel cap. There's not much space for water to collect, and it doesn't seem sealed like the SE's interior compartment is.

Here's a photo of my 2014 Clubman's fuel port, with the chrome "cap" opened and the black fuel cap behind it.

clubmanfuel.jpg

SpeedyRS likes this.
  14. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

When I read the original thread about the charge port lacking a light, I laughed. How hard could it be? The joke was on me, once the MINI arrived. It was much harder than I thought, guessing in the dark, to fit the charger in the port. But then I just shut my eyes and used my hands. It's not hard to guide the charger in by feel. I'm just used to relying on my eyes.

The water collection is a bit annoying it's true. Hadn't thought of making my own seal.

wessy likes this.
  15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

This is definitely a short coming on the SE. I pull in the garage to park, and consequently do not wish to step over the EVSE cord, so I’m plugging in the car left handed and in the dark!!!

The wife’s Prius Prime has a very bright little light that comes on in the charge port whenever the port hatch is opened. It’s amazing how the smallest little thing can add significant satisfaction. OK, maybe I’m spoiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

There IS a drain hole, it's just super tiny. May be worth intentionally putting some water below the L3 port and making sure it's not clogged.

20220322_181135.jpg

insightman, Rexsio and Puppethead like this.
  17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

A13973BF-35C9-413B-9B45-C3A61FFEFCFF.jpeg View attachment 15765 I did what you suggested put a 8 oz. Water there and water drains nicely than I look under a car on garage floor on top of a tire can’t locate any water next time I put a gallon to find out where a water is going? A hole is so small when you park outdoors better is not clogged.what about winter conditions? View attachment 15765

18. insightman

You must be right. I just went out in the rain, unplugged my charging cable, and didn't find any water pooled in the bottom of the charging port area.

The tiny drain hole must have become clogged with ice when it was colder and I found rain frozen in the bottom of the charging port area. I'm pulling out my 1/4-inch drill bit tomorrow ;)

19. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  20. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder if a stick on mirror or prism or whatever would direct the light towards the side instead?

21. Puppethead

My charge port filled with snow this winter when I charged at a public charger during a snow storm. I brushed out much of it with my hand, but just ignored what was left because it didn't interfere with charging. The snow sat inside the port for a few weeks until it got warm enough to melt. And then it was completely dry.