Backup camera stopped working

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leehoewonek, Mar 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

My backup camera would occasionally be blank in the last couple of weeks, and then about two days ago it was blank all the time. I've rebooted the screen a couple of times, that made no difference.

The diagnostics menu says it is ok, but even in the 'lines' part of the diagnostics it's showing as blank. I haven't opened the trunk lid liner to check the cables, though I suspect they're good because of the diagnostics reading.

So, has anyone else seen this? I'd love to hear that there's a quick fix I missed, but am expecting to learn that the camera has failed and has to be replaced.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. laptop

laptop Member

I have not come across this issue.
    What year and model do you have?
    And did you check if any rodents made it inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

I have a 2018 Touring. I haven't checked for rodents, but again, the diagnostics screen says the backup camera is ok, and the only effect rodents would have would be to chew through the wires, in which case the camera wouldn't report ok. Unfortunately, the more I look at it, the more I realize that camera failure is the only answer that fits the data.

5. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

I'm in the same boat, and am looking at the connector pins. It looks like there might have been a fifth pin that broke off inside the connector, but it's hard to tell. I've attached photos of the back of the camera and the connector. Is there anyone who's pulled their camera and can confirm that it only uses 4 pins? Thanks.

Edit: I've also used the diagnostic screen to confirm that my camera reports ok, so it's not likely there's a missing pin, but just want to confirm. I'm thinking camera failure as well.

Attached Files:

6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It is outrageous that these things seem to sell for around $600.
    You can get a salvage one for more like $100 (still seems high to me).

What did you have to take apart in order to gain access and examine this connector?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

First time I took all the trunk liner off and went at it from the inside. I learned that the camera is just held in place by two flaps that snap outwards from the camera. If you look at it with a flashlight, you can see them on either side. I used a knife and a small screwdriver to slowly move one of them inwards until I could get that side loose, then I did the other. If it's just the camera, that's a much faster method. However, I see replacement cameras come with the connector wire, so I need to determine what connector (they're all white, but 6-pin? flat? square?) is at the other end before I order a new camera.

Edit: added a photo of the flap that holds the camera in place. You can see it above the horizontal plastic, it's leading edge looks like a large 'U'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022