2019 Kona EV Motor Noise Issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mdsweb, Sep 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Good to hear!

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Never thought I would read those words:D
    Congrats on the successful visit to the repair shop.

4. I looked up this part for the 2019 and it says that the 701 and 702 versions "don't fit" that model year. But every replacement on this thread has been the 702 model including 2019s. Maybe the parts website is incorrect? I did notice that the 702, while newer, is 2 or 3 thousand dollars LESS than the recommended 2019 part...the ones that have failed. Hmm.

5. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

That's great, after my traction motor assembly was replaced the difference is night and day better. The replacement only took about 5 hours vs 2 days to replace the reduction gear. I did have to wait 3 months for the parts to arrive though.

6. Mdsweb

Mdsweb Member

Wow that’s great to hear! You’re exactly right - I think if they’ve done a replacement the stress level goes way down trying to explain problems- as they get more comfortable working with EVs.

Looks like someone else may have paved the way for you at your dealership lol.

From my experience it may take a couple of months to get the parts in but as long as your driving the car it’s not a big deal.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'd mentioned before about how constant exposure to the motor sounds may have made me a bit deaf to the increasing noise. I got a loaner gas Kona for a two hour drive from the dealer and back. This is the first different car I've driven in two years. I immediately noticed how quiet the gas Kona seemed (not a good sign). When I picked up my car today and drove it I could not even comprehend the volume of the racket. It was astonishing how I failed to notice it before.

arhnold and navguy12 like this.
  9. Bogdans19

Bogdans19 New Member

Tomorrow I'm taking my Kona to dealearshop for electric motor swap :)
    I hope to get rid of motor noise
    See you at the end of the week

electriceddy, navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  10. Good luck with it. Where are you located?

11. Bogdans19

Bogdans19 New Member

Romania

electriceddy, navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I had my traction motor replaced last week. All back to normal! It did take about four months to get the parts though.

14. That's good to hear. I figured three to four months wait would be likely for mine. Fingers crossed, breath definitely not holding.

15. Bogdans19

Bogdans19 New Member

Update after changing the electric motor

There is a little bit silencer but the mettalic noise when braking under 15km/h it's still there :(

16. Do you have any idea as to whether the metallic sound is related to brakes or regen? Because if it's brakes then some servicing or aggressive braking might scour the pads and clean them, eliminating the metallic noises.

navguy12 likes this.
  17. Bogdans19

Bogdans19 New Member

No because the mettalic noise its also at low speeds when moving from a stop

18. This sounds like the brake clunk that is related to the clips and pad size?

19. Bogdans19

Bogdans19 New Member

It sounds like this

20. navguy12 likes this.
  21. Got the call! Parts are in and I've got an appointment for motor unit and drive unit replacement on May 25th. I'm told it should be a one day overnight stay and I'll be getting a loaner. Back in February I guessed parts would arrive around May 24th long weekend. Expectations met. Here's hoping it works! By the way, my Service Tech mentioned that there IS an official bulletin about the drive unit noises from Hyundai with recommended fixes. So any dealership should have guidance available to them should your car manifest these issues.

22. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    TSB now available (31 pages!) for this issue - It's only taken three years!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10211676-0001.pdf

John.

valcars, Zem, hobbit and 4 others like this.
  23. Printed all out in color, valuable info there.
    Interesting the new mounting bolts referral to build dates pre-5/13/19 and post that same date.
    Thanks for the link:)

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.