POLL: Wrapping a 2018 Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PHEVB4BEV, Feb 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Which color would look the best on my 2018 Clarity?

1. 3M S271 Satin Thundercloud

40.0%
  2. ORACAL 190M Moonlight Metallic Matte

40.0%
  3. ORACAL 689 Gloss Juniper

20.0%
  1. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

I received my 2018 Honda Clarity Touring from CarMax with a pristine interior about 10 days ago. Unfortunately the exterior paint has had a few bumps along the way. This Saturday my good buddy is doing a full paint reconditioning to clean it up...but here's the thing. There are 4 silver cars parked in my driveway today, and it's too darn many!
    [​IMG]

Due to the lackluster nature of the paint, this car was ~4k less than its comps in the inventory I could reach. As a former CM employee, I know if something sits in their inventory more than 45 days, they start listing it for less... and I'm pretty sure I got it for cost or below. Hence, I am paying that extra dough forward to giving this car its second life, and I'm going to wrap the whole car in a new color.

I want something blue or green, or a little bit of both. I've asked my work friends to help me narrow down my choices, but I figured since I am now a part of this lovely community, y'all can help as well.

SO, the Tesla (not mine) is wrapped in 3M Satin Thundercloud. It's a nice grey with a bit of blue, just like a...thundercloud :D I really like the subtle blue... My Prius Prime was Magnetic blue, which was a little too bright for me.
    [​IMG]

The Infiniti (again, not mine) is wrapped in ORACAL Moonlight Matte Metallic. This is a darker grey, and in the light the metal flake catches stronger blues and subtle greens.
    [​IMG]

Finally, Oracal makes a straight hunter green gloss called Juniper (and I really wish the Deco Chevy was mine). I feel a little more on the fence with this color, but I really do like green. Maybe it's because it looks less like a 'custom' color? There aren't enough green cars in the world!
    [​IMG]

So what should it be? I'm sure I'd be happy driving it with any of these and it's a tough call.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Whatever direction the consensus guides you, remove the badges from the front fenders first.

4. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

Already did! The photo's a few days old, sorry.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Since I tend to like darker greens, the truck may be a little light for me, but think that's my vote. Don't like middle choice and IMO the first choice is still too close to silver if you're trying to break things up.

PHEVB4BEV likes this.
  6. Danks

Danks Active Member

Of the choices, I would vote for the 3M Satin Thundercloud. I've seen a car with a nice iridescent wrap, although that might make it a bit too noticeable.

If I had it to do over again, I would look at a white or silver Clarity and wrap it just like you are doing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

Thanks everyone, I'm digging the feedback!

Juniper is the darkest green I could find! There is also green fir tree metallic, which I've considered. upload_2022-2-18_11-11-47.png

Soft lighting makes the rolling corners look kind of grey-green. It also seems to pick up much more blue in direct sun. While it isn't like the more psychedelic flip colors, the subtle differences kind of what made this a 'finalist' for me.

See my comments on the first one above. The midnight metallic also seems to act really different in direct light. Rvinyl describes it as 'so dark blue that it looks black'. But it looks more like a charcoal gray in the sample pic. Then again, here it is under stronger lighting.
    upload_2022-2-18_11-25-12.png

Fwiw, the 'gloss' version looks even more blue than this.

9. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

Satin thundercloud:

Moonlight metallic matte:

Juniper:

Bonus fir tree metallic:

10. Lucien Mcleod

Lucien Mcleod Member

Any would be awesome as there are no wrapped Clarities yet……. Do itttttttt!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

PHEVB4BEV likes this.
  11. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I like the fir green metallic...

PHEVB4BEV likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. purple.jpg

PHEVB4BEV likes this.
  14. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

I don't think any wrap will make it look like that!

I remember why the fir green wasn't in my list of original picks: it's out of stock everywhere. :(

15. True, but that color on a Clarity? Yowser!!

16. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

I just found out about Hexis vinyl wrap, a friend in the industry recommended it if I am looking to DIY. It is about 1/3 the cost of the other options. I found a nice dark green that I really like. To be thorough, I am ordering a piece of all 5 colors. I'm going to wrap some small items before I tackle a whole project, I'll post results here.

[​IMG]

17. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think this idea is nuts ?? :eek:

18. Robert_Alabama

It's brave for sure. Hopefully fortune favors the brave.

19. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

If I goof, at least the goof comes off pretty easily.

Mild disclaimer here: my original post may be misleading...as I am not spending $4k to get the car wrapped professionally. When I buy an appropriate-sized roll, it will cost $500-$1200. I'm not going for the really expensive color-shifting or simulated candy/chrome wraps.

I have never wrapped a car... about ten years ago I did work for a sign shop and most of the work we did was 2D/flat. I did get some experience there wrapping some small and medium items. I will probably experiment with wrapping some of the small parts first, such as door handles, trim pieces, logos etc. and if goes well I will go for wrapping the full car. I have friends in the industry who have been nothing but encouraging; we're all makers, hobbyists and general DIYers.

After rubbing shoulders with the buyers at CarMax for a couple of years, I learned that repainting your car equals instant depreciation. We had bought a few wrapped cars, and they neither depreciate or appreciate in value, except for certain cars. Tesla may be good, Porsche may be bad for the value etc.

I just want to assert that I'm not going in blind or in a huge hurry. And, I'm not wrapping it in purple! :D

20. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

From left to right, in direct sunlight: juniper, moonlight metallic matte, Sherwood green, fir green metallic, satin thundercloud.
    [​IMG]

Indirect incandescent light:
    [​IMG]

Direct light (flash):
    [​IMG]

I'm glad I bought small pieces. The fir green isn't as dark as it looked in pictures and video. The Sherwood is darkest green, is more saturated, and I didn't expect it to be metallic as well!

So the juniper ends up being the only 'flat' color in the mix. Also there isn't as big a difference in person between gloss, satin, and matte colors as I thought there would be.

21. Robert_Alabama

Yep, the fir green isn't as dark as the first pics. I'd choose the Sherwood green if I was picking...

22. PHEVB4BEV

PHEVB4BEV New Member

I was leaning toward that, even though it wasn't among the original 3 picks, they do look different in person.

Really it's down to the fir green or the Sherwood, but I think the Sherwood might be a little easier to position and apply. Tomorrow I'm going to hunt around for small things to wrap!

Found another pic of a Sherwood green car that seems to be truer to what my eye sees:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    Robert_Alabama likes this.
  23. No purple? I'm comin' 'Lisibeth this is the big one!

Know the line? R. F. were his initials.