2019 Kona EV Motor Noise Issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mdsweb, Sep 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Because my battery replacement has been shunted to a second, larger dealer, I have access to two of them now. I will ask if either has experience with drive train recalls.
    Thanks for your assistance! Good to know that I'm not imagining things, a bit unsettling to hear you're so amazed by my noises!!

R P likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

OMG, memories of mopeds buzzing around farmers fields circa 1972

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.
  4. Should I check the undercarriage for errant mopeds?! Perhaps instead of a new battery I should request a mopedectomy!

5. That's anyone's guess, there are four to choose from plus the spline running at motor speed ... the area that seems to relate best frequency-wise to the noise in your recording. Once the gearbox is pulled it may be easier to diagnose. A gear oil change might reveal something if there is substantially more metal in it than the 14+ changes we've seen so far.
    Just to reduce the risk of the car breaking down, I think a good first step would be to visit the dealer, have them drive it and send a recording off to S.K. for analysis.

navguy12 likes this.
  6. Thanks very much!

KiwiME likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That last one sounds like someone getting a "Buzz cut" at the barbershop. No way the techs can miss that...

Wildeyed and navguy12 like this.
  9. Further to my previous posts about noises, I happened to be driving today so I experimented a bit. I completely turned off regen, which makes a heck of a noise lately, so that I could "coast" with no power inputs and no engagement of motor or regen. There was a very subtle, but still apparent, metallic rubbing sound when I took my foot off the pedal.

10. When no acceleration or regen load, then no pressure on your bearings and splines. So that makes sense.

11. Hi There,
    I've been having noise issues of my own. I read your entries from last year but after scrolling the forum I didn't see any conclusion. You said they ordered you a new drive train but I didn't read whether you received it and whether it solved your problem. I'd love to know. And also, could you provide your dealer name? It might be useful to have should mine need a referral.

Thanks.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mdsweb

Mdsweb Member

Hi Wildeyed, funny I was just thinking to post an update... I've been meaning to because this forum has proven to be a very valuable tool and a great source to forward to the dealer when trying to explain a problem that they have not heard of - LIKE THIS ONE.

So the motor arrived late December and they replaced it just before Christmas. It was the 702 motor assembly (ELECTRIC MOTOR, DRIVE GEAR & MOTOR ASSEMBLY) and so far so good - NO MORE NOISE. Repair took 1 1/2 days to complete. It basically sounds and feels like the first day I drove it off the lot (now @ 72K) so I'm very happy - Let's hope it lasts. It's been about almost 3 months and 6000km.

My experience with the dealer was all good. They kept telling me that they never had to conduct this procedure before so I was worried - but what choice did I have - this is the chance we take to be Kona EV pioneers lol. Actually, my Kona was the first battery replacement they had to do as well.

If you have anything that sounds similar to mine then I would suspect it is the same problem - as I believe you purchased yours around the same time I did... Early 2019. If your dealer has any issues identifying the problem tell them to call Jonathan @ Newmarket Hyundai - he is the service manager and was very helpful every step of the way in resolving this whole issue with the motor and the battery replacement. Although it really did help when I brought in the audio recording - before then I was just wasting my time with technicians trying to explain what I was hearing - because they couldn't hear anything (ICE ears) ... but as soon as they heard it on a speaker it was easy to identify in real life.

Hope this helps and you can get yours resolved as well.

electriceddy, navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  14. Thanks for your detailed response. Very helpful... and hopeful! Best of luck that everything keeps quiet.

electriceddy and navguy12 like this.
  15. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

With those noises I don't think you will have any trouble convincing a dealer that you have a real problem. Once its fixed you will not believe you managed to put up with it for so long.

Wildeyed likes this.
  16. I hope it's the case that I can convince them. Yes, it's very easy to become ear-blind when you have constant exposure to noise. And when it increases over time it's even easier to miss.

navguy12 likes this.
  17. Which is why I don't entirely dismiss thinking my Kona (suddenly) runs quieter after changing the gear oil, despite the lack of an obvious scientific basis.

18. Bogdans19

Bogdans19 New Member

I have the same buzzing sound when accelerating and "wheel of fortune when regenerating.
    The problem is my car is 2021 and yours 2019…
    I dont know what to belive. If they fixed the cause or not.
    I’m now waiting for motor to come

Shawn X and Wildeyed like this.
  19. What was the process like for you when diagnosing the problem at a dealership and getting as far as having the new parts ordered? Was it painful?

Bogdans19 and navguy12 like this.
  20. Bogdans19

Bogdans19 New Member

I took the car to dealership at 15.000km and took them for a test drive and they Said that the buzzing sound its a normal electric motor sound.
    They didnt had an explination for “ wheel of fortune” and they said “IT didn sound like a problem” lol.
    Then i mailed Hyundai Koreea and Hyundai Europe on contact form and attached videos with the sound and in about one week the dealer called me to come back for another check. I let the car 2 days, they said that they took down the motor but i doubdt they really did.
    Anyway they said that a motor order was placed and now i’m waiting.
    But i’m still worried and I hope not to have the same problem after couple months

21. Cross posted this in the Canadian battery thread.

The dealership handling my battery replacement is aware of the drivetrain issue, having done a replacement previously, and is going to look at it at the same time I get my battery replacement. And they're charging the oil too.

KiwiME, electriceddy and navguy12 like this.
  22. Hopefully after charging it, they actually replace it as well:D

Wildeyed likes this.
  23. Well I'm a happy dude.

My garage replaced my battery today and test drove it re: the noisy drive train.

They are going to replace everything. Motor, reduction gear, everything. Painless, fast, no dithering. Couldn't have gone better.

Parts are on back order (of course) but are ordered and it will be done. I am free to drive my car in the meantime.

My one suggestion, if I can pass anything along to others experiencing noise issues: go to a garage with a history of having dealt with it before and having actually replaced the motor etc.. It smoothed things out so much to not have been the first. I've had more grief and arguments over oil changes and tire rotation than I had over replacing an entire drive train! Crazy world. But I'm not complaining... for once. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    OzKona, Kirby34, navguy12 and 2 others like this.