Should the car remember the key settings?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Teddydogno1, Jan 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Almost every time I get into the car, it asks me about which key profile I want to use. Something like that...I forget the exact wording. I always use my key (has a Union Jack shell on it) and I always select to use Key 2 (or profile 2, whatever it says). Sometimes it is already selected on #2 and sometimes it reverts to #1. And sometimes (like this morning after a brief stop at a donut shop) it doesn't ask me at all.

What's going on with this message? I thought it should be remembering that my key is Profile 2 and that's it. Stop bugging me. But it doesn't remember. It keeps asking me and it is one more thing I have to do each time I start the bloody car.

Is this "normal", or is something wrong with my car/key?

Rob

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

You can tell it to stop showing that message on startup. I think it's on the message itself, but it's been awhile so that may be wrong. Either way, turn it off and never think about it again.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  4. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Profile based on key that unlocks car.
    From Manual:
    "
    General information
    There are three driver profiles with which
    personal vehicle settings can be stored. Ev-
    ery vehicle key has been assigned one of
    these driver profiles.
    If the vehicle is unlocked using the vehicle
    key, the assigned personal driver profile will
    be activated. All settings stored in the
    driver profile are automatically applied.
    If several drivers use their own vehicle
    keys, the vehicle will apply the personal set-
    tings as it is being unlocked. These settings
    are also restored, if the vehicle has been
    used in the meantime by a person with a
    different vehicle key."

And -
    "Functional requirements
    For the system to be able to identify the
    driver profile associated to a particular
    driver, the detected vehicle key must be
    clearly allocated to the driver.
    This is the case when:
    – The driver is only carrying his or her
    own vehicle key.
    – The driver unlocks the vehicle.
    – The driver gets into the vehicle through
    the driver's door."

5. I had the same problem. I ended up going into driver profiles, ticking the box next to the one I wanted, and then renamed it to Ray. Always on my key profile ever since. If I use my spare key, the message will pop up, and I just select it from the list. But as soon as I use my normal key again, the profile is set, with no message's.

6. ghost

ghost Active Member

I turned off all the startup menu messages/warnings using bimmercode.

JonR likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. endquote

endquote Active Member

There is a setting in there to turn that off, and I don't think you need Bimmercode to do it.

I don't find the profiles thing that useful. There isn't really anything that my partner and I would set differently, and she barely drives it anyway. I set both keys to the same profile and turned off the startup message.

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Station presets, hot buttons (I think), turn signal blinking time, interior color, console ring, power seat settings (oh wait, no)...lots of reasons to have key profiles. It would be nice to have a "make them all the same" option, though.

10. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Main reason I use it is for the mirror setting. With profile, I only have to adjust the manually set interior mirror after my wife has driven the car.

11. endquote

endquote Active Member

I'm aware that those settings can be in the profile, but they're not particularly useful in my household. Power seat settings (and power seats) would be fantastic though.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

That’s interesting, despite setting a profile for each key and even confirming when we get in the mirrors never move so we have do it manually every time…

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps you have enabled the setting where the passenger-side mirror tilts downwards when going in reverse? I don't believe the side mirrors adjust their position in response to which key fob is active.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  15. Teddydogno1

I drove the car today and while parked, I went into the Driver Profiles and renamed my #2 profile with my name. I also ticked off the "show profiles on start" or whatever it says. I tested by turning off the car and opening the door, then started again. It remembered my radio station and didn't show the profiles list. I also adjusted the mirrors the way I LIKE THEM. I HOPE they will be remembered because while I can tolerate the seat position my wife uses and I only adjust that when going for longer drives, I hted the crappy way she sets the mirrors. "I need to be able to see the side of the car or I get disoriented." Blah.

Something on the screen implied to me that maybe it wouldn't properly remember the key to profile setting unless the profile is renamed. But maybe not.

Rob

Akanaten likes this.
  16. Teddydogno1

Still not working and it is pissing me off. Shouldn't be that hard.

Last night, wife and I went out to dinner. She did not have her key on her, so it was certainly MY KEY that unlocked and started the car. It has been good about not displaying the profiles screen, but it did NOT switch to MY profile that was supposed to be linked to MY key. It was still on my wife's (radio station and showing hers active when I went into profiles).

I switched to my profile and my radio station kicked in. But NOT my mirror settings. Is this something I'm doing wrong? Expecting something that can't happen? Or do I need to make a service appointment?

Rob

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Owners Manual says that unlocking is when the profiles get activated. I don't know why it's not happening until you select your profile on the CID.

Is Rob's the only MINI that has a memory for the position of the side mirrors? My 2021 Iconic SE doesn't have that. Here's what the Owners Manual says:
    upload_2022-2-4_13-29-51.png

18. Teddydogno1

Thanks for that. The mirrors are off the table, I guess. Someone else had mentioned them. Was really hoping that was in the profiles.

Rob

insightman likes this.
  19. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I have a Signature Plus, and the mirrors adjust depending on the Driver Profile. But, I had to select the profile every time I got in the car, and it bugged me that it wouldn't just remember the key that I had linked to each profile. After reading this thread, I went and got rid of the message at startup and now it doesn't come up. I drove once after my wife and it reset to my settings (the mirrors too), but I haven't yet gotten to see if it will change settings again with my wife's key. I hope it does. Anyway, the mirrors should work.

GvilleGuy likes this.